ADIF files

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
Sidney Harbour
New user

ADIF files

Post by Sidney Harbour »

Hi,
Can anyone advise me on the following problem. My PC recently crashed, I had to re-format and re-install windows ect. When I re-installed winlog32 my log only shows the first two contacts entered. I had studiously backed up my log on exit each time. Searching through my secondary backup on my external disk, I could not find any ADIF files. Am I wrong in stating that the back up on exiting is an ADIF file or is it in another file extension.
I have an excellent file recovery program `Media Investigator`, which will recover files off a re-formatted disk. The ADIF extension is not in their data base, but they are willing to add it to the data base if I could send them an example. So am I looking for an ADIF file or another extension?
If I receive any replies to this request it will be approx. one week before I can reply.
Many thanks for taking the time to read this.
Regards,
Sid.
OZ2HT
New user

ADIF files

Post by OZ2HT »

Hi Sid,

The back-up file is "Your log name.LOG" and not an ADIF file.
Just look in your back-up place , and copy the "name".LOG into your new Winlog32/Logs !! Easy and simple [(:)]
Run the "TOOLS/LOG CHECK ROBOT" and you are in the game again !!

Vy 73 de jorn
Sidney Harbour
New user

ADIF files

Post by Sidney Harbour »

Hi Jorn,
Many thanks for your reply. I have found the Log file on my backup disk and have tried importing it by way of my Backup program. Only to receive a message from my Backup program advising me that the file is corrupt and could not be opened. So it looks as though I will not be able to retrieve my log. Ah well that is the way the cookie crumbles. I will do a manual backup next time.
Thanks again for your help.
73 es gl.
Sid.
OZ2HT
New user

ADIF files

Post by OZ2HT »

Hi Sid

No, No ... doun´t use Import Backup , just COPY or MOVE your backup file ( "?name?.LOG" )into your new Winlog32/Logs , and it will work again !!

Vy 73 de jorn
Sidney Harbour
New user

ADIF files

Post by Sidney Harbour »

Hi Keith and Jorn,

Many thanks for your email, and your kind offer.

When I first installed and used Winlog32, I entered my first two contacts all OK. These two contacts have been entered into the re-installed Winlog32 from a manual backup (copy and paste into my new Winlog32/Logs ) which I made on to my external disk. All other entries which I had made have not been re-instated.
When I exited from Winlog32 my practice was to go to `File` `Back Up Log`, when a window would appear `Confirm File Replace` I would click on Yes. According to the Back Up tab in `Options` `Settings` the back up path was to C:\Documents and settings\Sid. These are the folders which I manually backed up, the last time before my PC crashed was four days.

I also used a Back Up program FBackup 4 to back up all of my documents on to the external disk. When I tried to re-install the back up using this program. The `File corrupt message appears and I am unable to do so. Hence I had to do the manual method ie copy and paste. Presumably the FBackup 4 back up will also only contain my first two contacts.

I have come to the conclusion that I was doing something wrong which prevented all of my subsequent QSO details not to be backed up on the original disk. Fortunately I also kept a paper Logbook for all but the last twenty or so contacts before I used Winlog32 exclusively. So it is the last twenty or so that I am missing.

I have just read a reply from Jorn on the Forum so I will also post this there also.
Once again my Thanks,
Best regards es gd DX,
Sid.
ZS4JAN
New user

ADIF files

Post by ZS4JAN »

Hello Sid

The best and easiest method of saving your logbook or QSO,s is to go to your C drive. Click on the Winlog 32 folder. Look for the LOG folder. Copy and paste this on your backup disk or another PC.

If you run the Winlog 32 program on another PC it will be much better. Copy and paste this LOG folder into the Winlog 32 folder in the C drive. When prompted click YES to ALL.

Now you will have an identical copy, even if there is multi users within Winlog 32.

I use this method to maintain other users of this great logbook in South Africa. They simply Email there LOG folder and i will do the corrections in this folder. Some even use my PC as another way of keeping a copy of there logbook.

Jan...ZS4JAN
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

ADIF files

Post by DL4KG »

Hello all,

I also recommend to do the same with the "Winlog.INI" file. After installing WL32 you will have the same settings as before.

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
www.qslnet.de/dl4kg
www.mydarc.de/dl4kg
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
G0CUZ
Site Admin

ADIF files

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi guys

Just reading through this thread, and would like to clear up a couple of things and add my own sorry tale too.

The correct way to back-up Winlog32 is upon exit - a prompt will appear and a COPY of your log file will be saved to an external medium as set in 'Options/Settings, it is essential to back-up to another medium otherwise there is no point, as the main thing we must be looking out for is a hard drive failure which can happen at any time.

Backing up to a floppy is rather redundant nowadays, as flash sticks are so cheap, this must be the answer and there can be no excuse about it IT IS ESSENTIAL to make regular back-ups of at least your log file.

You can also back-up your log file at any time during use by using the toolbar button, present on the main Winlog32 toolbar.

Using Menu/File/Maintenance - it is possible to back-up all essentail files that are uses in Winlog32 - with this facility it is also possible to keep a duplicate installation via a local network up-to-date, which is something I am frequenctly doing between test and development computers

Now the sorry tale..........
My main programming computer - the one I use to program Winlog32 on, just (a couple of days ago) decided not to start up - with hard drive boot sector error it turned out to be a corrupt boot sector caused by hardware failure and now the hard drive is completely knackered and all files lost!

There is about 15 years of work on this hard drive - did I have a back up - you bet I did, on a CDROM, with duplicates on on a flash stick, several SD Mem Cards and on a bespoke external hard drive as well as copys on two other computers.

If I had not done this then there would be no further Winlog32 updates as I really could not think of re-doing 15 years work.

Moral of this tale is to BACK UP and not to the same hard drive - it is not worth the risk leaving it for another time - hard drives can suddenly decide not to start - and over the years I have had three or four go without any warning whatsover, the one in question is only about 18 months old.

It is so easy to be complacement, in my case it will take me a few days to re-install XP, programming software etc. and retrieve my code files so that I can get going again.
I would hate to to have to write up 6000 QSO back into my log and have lost forever the last 5000 I have made since I abandoned paper logs, as for loosing the Winlog32 code - I just don't want to think about it.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
GU6EFB
Keen user

ADIF files

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi All

With the very low cost of USB memory pens these days 2 or 3 pounds for 8Gb why not leave a unit connected to your PC and set the backup option to backup your log to this memory pen on log exit

73 Keith GU6EFB