Kenwood rig control

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Kenwood rig control

Post by DL4KG »

Hi Colin,

thanks for implementing the Kenwood rig control. I am using a Kenwood TS-2000 and tried the feature with the offered settings TS-850, TS-940 and TS-50. It seems to work fine. But I am seeing that I have to update the frequency readout by pressing the VFO A/B button after a frequncy change. Is that because I do not have one of the offered rigs or is the "on-line" frequency readout not implemented yet?
That means the program can control the rig but turning the VFO knob will not change the frequency readout in the rig control window. It looks like one way communication between rig and program.

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg

Edited by - dl4kg on 14/03/2004 10:48:41 AM
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Kenwood rig control

Post by G0CUZ »

hi Gerald

Most of thr Kenwood range use the same protocol so selecting a different rig is mostly cosmetic - e.g. rig model displays in the title bar.

You should get two way communication, try enabling both DTR and RTS options on the rig Control Window - settings - other if you have not already done so.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Kenwood rig control

Post by DL4KG »

Hi Colin,

RTS and DTR were enabled but I have still no change of display while tuning around with the TS-2000. If I press the VFO A/B button the display will be updated. I found the same with the modes. I can change the modes from the WL32 but the program does not react if I change the mode on the rig.
Another thing: I can change the frequency by the computer on the already used band, but the rig does not change frequency while pressing one of the band buttons.
So I think the TS-2000 might have some special commands. But I am using MMTTY for RTTY and it offers only one Kenwood setup which works also for my TS-2000.
If you need any help (command list etc.) please let me know.

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Kenwood rig control

Post by G0CUZ »

Hello Gerald

I am not familiar with the TS-2000

Not sure what the problem is, I have got hold of the TS-2000 manual and have looked for any possible problems, the frequncy transfer protocol is the same as with other Kenwood, only thing I can see as a possibility is please check menu item 52 on your tcvr and make sure is ON.

I am really curious about your last comment regarding using the memory buttons, clicking on memory button (band button you call it) uses the same command as when you use one of the frequency increment buttons which I presume work OK?

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Kenwood rig control

Post by DL4KG »

Hello Colin,

many thanks for the explanation and it was new for me, that I have set menue 52 "on". But it does not solve the problem. The conversation between PC and rig seems to be one way. I can change the rig frequency with WL32 but the readout on the PC will be not updated when I use the dial knob on the TS-2000. And this is true for menue 52 on or off.
What is the "initialise" button for? I can not see any action caused by this button.
The memory buttons are working now, maybe there was something wrong the last time.
Any other idea?

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Kenwood rig control

Post by G0CUZ »

Just as a thought, check the baud rate for the rig com on tcvr and RCW, set to 4800 speed if it set differently from this - maybe this is the problem.

The initialise button should be pressed after any changes as this resets the comport or better still close rig window and re-open.

Try menu 52 on/off.

Try changing DTR and RTS options too.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Kenwood rig control

Post by G0CUZ »

I have another thought but will require a test file, if previous comments are no-go then I will send you the test/debug file this week-end Gerald.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Kenwood rig control

Post by DL4KG »

Hi Colin,

I tried several settings, also changed the communication speed from 9600 to 4800 but that was worse than before. If I open the rig control window it reads the frequency correctly, but afterwards I can change the frequency on the Ts-2000 but there is no change on the PC screen, only if I press the A/B button the readout will refreshed. So I have to press the A/B button twice to see the right frequency on the big figures on top of the window.

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Kenwood rig control

Post by G0CUZ »

Gerald

Have you an email address where I can send a zipped file to? about 450K

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Kenwood rig control

Post by DL4KG »

Hi Colin,

please send the file to znoyek@t-online.de . Normally I use dl4kg@qsl.net, but I read that they have a bug in the mailing software.

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg

Edited by - dl4kg on 20/03/2004 9:46:55 PM
73 de Gerald - DL4KG