Re-Install Problems

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
Marc DeLuca
New user

Re-Install Problems

Post by Marc DeLuca »

Hello All!
Sorry for the long thread but I need help.
My computer hard drive recently crashed and I am having problems with the re-install of Winlog32.
I downloaded v1.9 and installed it okay however now every time I try to run the program I get several error screens. The first one states "no log database selected- select one using Change/Select database button" (I have a log setup and set the option for the log to load at startup but no luck). When I hit OK the next error screen states "File missing- C:\Windows\Desktop|Logs\Notepad.MDB switch off notepad or replace file" (How do you switch off notepad?) When I hit the OK button I get another error screen "Runtime error- 53 File not found" The program bombs out everytime I hit the OK button after this screen.
Interestingly I have now placed the Notepad.MDB on my desktop and can open the Winlog32 using it. Any suggestions on clearing this up?

Also, I backed-up my old Winlog32 log consistenly but cannot import the file now into this re-install (says the back-up is not an ADIF file!!). I'd sure like to get my 1200+ calls into the database.

Finally, how can I get Maps back. I have my registration number but can't remember how to get that functionality restored.

Look forward to any assistance.

Marc- KD4VUA
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re-Install Problems

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Marc

For some reason the winlog32 executable has been moved to your desktop, you should only have a shortcut on your desktop, the execuatable belongs in the Winlog folder and is the reason it isn't working.

Find the folder where you have installed winlog32.
Check to see if the executable is in that folder e.g. "wl32.exe"
If it is there then left click n' drag this file to your desktop, this should place a shortcut for WL32 on your desktop.
If it isn't then copy the one from the desktop into the Winlog folder and repeat the click'n drag as above.
Now ignore the other winlog icon you have tried to use before, try to launch Winlog32 with the shortcut you just placed there - that should get the program going.
Check that you have v1.9 from the Menu/Help/About window.
If so then delete the the rouge file from your desktop (the one that didn't work)

Now for the LOG

The backup Log database file is NOT an ADIF file you can not import it into Winlog32, the back-up is a copy of the LOG database, to re-instate your Log.
Shut down Winlog32
Copy the back-up file into your new Winlog\LOGS installation folder.
Start Winlog32
Using the Select/Change Log button select your Log database, and press LOAD, now should have the LOG.

To add the ancilliary databases e.g. DXCC/IOTA etc.
Open the menu/file/New log window
Press the Make New DATABASE button
Add your Log database name into the box provided, it should be exactly the same name as the database in the "ADD LOG" list WITHOUT THE EXTENSION e.g. MYDATABASE not MYDATABASE.LOG
Press PROCEED button
Press YES to the next two Prompts and OK.
CLOSE the New Database window.
Next time you start Winlog32 the Menu/Databases/xxxxitems should be available.

The ancilliary databases will be empty and you will need to use the Log Check Robot to restore them. Winlog32 does not make back-ups of these.
Job done.

Please email me...
winlog@blueyonder.co.uk
and I will send your registration details again.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author