DUAL SWITCHABLE LOGS FOR FT8 AND SSB

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
AE7PS
New user

DUAL SWITCHABLE LOGS FOR FT8 AND SSB

Post by AE7PS »

I currently have WSJT-X successfully logging directly into Wimlog32. Is there a way to have one separate log for FT8 (WSJT-X)and another for SSB? I see it is possible to create another log, but I don't see a way to switch between them. Is this possible? If so how? At present I have two logs:

AE7PS.LOG
FT8LOG.LOG

Also, I wanted to view my log but have been unsuccessful. When I go to "winlog32/logs/AE7PS" and try to open DXCC.MDB it says " cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application" What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Carl AE7PS
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Re: DUAL SWITCHABLE LOGS FOR FT8 AND SSB

Post by F4GVO »

Yes it is possible Carl.
File > NEW LOG.
Then you can change using the "box" situated just on the right of the "END" button of a QSO entry

Choose the one you want and click on LOAD

in this example, I have two log on my DATABASE called HF. One is LOG my "home log" and SOREMONT is when I am, was QSY from an hight point doing HF in /P

And about Viewing the DATABASE, the file is Microsft Access 97 only compatible, so you can open it only using this specific version of Access. Anyway, I really don't understand when you said you want to see your log ? Your log shoulb be displayed when you start Winlog32, isn't it ?

73 de Thierry, F4GVO
AE7PS
New user

Post by AE7PS »

Thank you. I will give this a try. And yes you are right. The real log is displayed when the program is opened.

Best, Carl
AETPS
AE7PS
New user

Post by AE7PS »

I made your changes and I now have switchable dual logs that record automatically from WSJT-X. That's a really cool timesaver. Now I just want to automatically convert the recorded grid square code in the Winlog32 "remarks" column to the country. If you know how to do that I would be interested.

Thanks again for your help,
-Carl, AE7PS
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Post by F4GVO »

I am sorry Carl, I don't understand what you mean with converting the grid square to the country ? Some grids straddle on two countries (or more)...
Can you explain more what you want to do.

Thierry
AE7PS
New user

Post by AE7PS »

Thanks Thierry. I just thought it would be more interesting and informative to see the name of the country in my log rather than the grid square. Maybe I might need the country for some award in the future. But I see you are right. A grid square can straddle multiple countries. So I suppose I would need to add the country manually in the log using a QRZ look up of the callsign.

-Carl
AE7PS
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Post by F4GVO »

The country or better said the DXCC reference is displayed on the QSO information page of each contact in Winlog.

Indeed this information doesn't appear directly to your log "lines". But with time and experience, callsign are great indicators for that :D

If you goal is for future search, I can only suggest you do make search by CODE. Each country/DXCC entity has is own numerical code.
Using the Search > Search log window provide in Winlog32, you can do that easily. OK I must confess I am a fan of this window but years ago, with the help of Collin, I was able to learn to use it and it is a powerful tools.
Anyway, back to you. If you want to display a specific country from your log QSOs, as a result to the SEARCH page, you can use this tool and use this kind of SQL request line:
SELECT * FROM LOG WHERE Code=291

291 is the code for USA, so clicking on EXECUTE, you'll get all USA contacts you have on your log as result in the SEARCH page.
This must be usefull for any award as you can export this result as an ADIF or TEXT file etc...

The entity DXCC code are available here: https://www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/2022_DXCC_Current.pdf

Another way to check on your log for all contacts you have with a specific DXCC is to use the DATABASE > DXCC ... from there you can choose the country in the left and it will display the result of the right...

73 de Thierry
SV1GRB
Keen user

Post by SV1GRB »

I think that if you
go to the "Tools" menu
select the "LOG CHECK ROBOT", the LCR will open
press the "MORE" button
check the the "Add DXCC to User" and uncheck any other
press the "MORE" button again to return to the initial options
Select the first record of your log
Press the "START" button
Wait some time depend on the number of your QSOs

After reloading the log, the User field of each log record will be populated with the Country name

Most important, first backup your LOG in case the result is not the desired.

Haris
SV1GRB
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Post by F4GVO »

Thanks Haris for this interesting tip, I totally miss this way

I personally tested this on one of my contact, it works perfectly ONLY if the USER field is blank.

On my case, when new contacts are added, later I went back to each new QSOs added and it the "ENTER" key when I am on the "callsign" field. Doing that, Winlog32 connect to QRZ and fill up automatically the "user" field with the name (if available from QRZ.com). With anything already on the "user" field, the country is not added or replaced, which is the right behavior of Winlog32 I do think.

Anyway, your idea is excellent and if unfortunately "user" fields are already filled, the quickest way is to open the database in MS ACCESS 97 (only this version) to erase all the fields very quickly. It is not without danger but doing "by hand" will take an eternity.

73 de Thierry, F4GVO
SV1GRB
Keen user

Post by SV1GRB »

There is also another way to clear the User field data without using an external tool but be careful, first backup, then backup and backup again!

Select menu "File"
select "Log Search replace"
in the window opened, select FROM FIELD -> User
REPLACE TEXT: * (only an asterisk which mean EVERYTHING)
WITH: (leave it blank)
Click on "Search" button
Accept the warning messages
Reload the log.

Haris
SV1GRB