USER database

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

USER database

Post by F4GVO »

Hi Colin, I read the help file about USER database as I would like to build one for DIFM award. As I read it is not easy, must use ACCESS 97 which seems not working on Windows 7 :? .... is there any other way to build personal database ?

Until now, I put infos on REMARKS field and can search but something like IOTA, VHF, etc databasex will be very useful. :D

Thanks in advance for any more information about this process

Best 73 de Thierry
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: USER database

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Thierry

RE: User database, yes -you MUST use Access 97 (comes with Office 97) to make changes to the database (or to open any Winlog32 database), Access 97 will run on W7, in fact I use it on Windows 10, if you have later versions of Office installed, it IS a problem, installing later versions of Office will override 97 and make it unusable, so '97 must be installed/reinstalled AFTER any other Office program has been installed.

The other possibility is to use a Virtual machine and install Office 97 exclusively on that or another computer which does not have Office installed.

To open the 'user' database, do not double-click on the database file, but open Access 97 and load the file from there.

If you explain the problems you are experiencing, I may be able to advise.

regards Colin
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Post by F4GVO »

HI Colin,

Thank you for your reply.
In fact I do NOT have any MS Office installed, I use Libreoffice because mainly need Writer and Calc (word and excel equivalent).
Libreoffice has also Access compatibility with a program called "Base". I try and be able to open the user.mdb as you can "connect" an existent data base choosing the right type, and "Microsoft Access" is one of them. So I was able to see the different tables, opened them but that's all. Can't modify them but it is not the worth to do it as, as far I try, I won't be able to save or export the base in .mdb format..
So back to the beginning, I need Access 97 but I'm pretty sure that I haven't an old MS Office 97 installation disc in one of my old discs boxes :?
I will try to search for that, I have old computer where I will be able to install it without messing with my main computer.

Best regards from north east France,

Thierry
4X4-2238
Keen user

Post by 4X4-2238 »

Hi Thierry
There is a basic DIFM data already in the Islands section

Database/Islands/DIFM

73 Eyran 4X4-2238
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Post by F4GVO »

OH silly me, I never checked it ...... Please burn my soul !!! :lol:

Thank you Eyran !

It seems I was able to find an OFFICE 97 ISO on the web, need to install it and try that. Just need to find the time for that.

Cheers !

Thierry, F4GVO
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Post by F4GVO »

Well, I just check the DIFM database, but there is not "auto-check" option as there is for DXCC or IOTA, so it is not possible, maybe I am wrong, to validate DIFM islands references as it is possible with, for exemple, IOTA.... and this is the goal I would like to Winlog32 behave ;)
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Thierry

You CAN auto-update the User database tables from the Log!

I think you must read through the help section on this again

http://help.winlog32.co.uk/hlp_databases_user.aspx

It requires certain settings in the database and in Winlog32, it's been so long that I don't remember exactly what needs to be done, but will run through it when I have time, and if you can do likewise and let me know where you are falling down on this, I will advise, as may Eyran if he sees this first.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Post by F4GVO »

Hi Colin

Thanks for your reply. It helped me a lot to understand how to use User database.
Anyway, in my case, I would like to track islands NOT IOTA one but the one for DIFM, the frenchies isles, you know the one with reference like AT-001, ME-001, etc..

Eyran pointed me out that a database for that already existed, not in IOTA but on ISLANDS bases. I found it but there is not AUTO-check option as there is with IOTA.
Let me trying explain better. For IOTA, I put on REMARK field this kind of info: IOTA EU-095 and then with auto-check enable, if I validate a contact as confirmed or if I double click on these "word", Winlog show me all the bands I worked this specific IOTA. It is very but very useful for me.
I would like to have the same behavior for DIFM isles so I put on Remarks something like DIFM MA-019 but Winlog doesn't care about that. I try to put the same info on User, but nothing happened... So I don't know how to "force" Winlog to auto-check when it find the word DIFM with a reference....
Not sure I am clear about what I want or would like..... :oops:

73 de Thierry, F4GVO
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thierry, we seem to have some crossed wires!

The USER database is the one you need, this is separate file from the internal 'ancillary' database 'Islands' file - which I know does have DIFM list, the internal database does NOT have auto-check and update as you found out.

I presume you have a copy of the USER.MDB database, the one which was made by Eyran some years ago, I think this is still available from the Winlog32 website, and is the file you need to modify.

You could copy the DIFM table from the existing 'Islands.mdb' file using Access using copy/pastes into the User.MDB file, make sure that you follow instructions on the help page on the USER database, this would be a starting point, the maximum number of tables in USER.MDB which will be recognised by Winlog32 is 30, so you may have to delete one or more of the existing tables you are not interested in before adding a new one.

Let me know how you get on, you can also contact me direct via email if you wish, it may be faster than using the Forum for details of this process.

73 Colin, G0CUZ
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Post by F4GVO »

Thank you Colin for all info.

Now I just need to install ACCESS 97 on my computer. I will try on my little laptop, hoping I will be able to run it.
Anyway, I will keep post my advance.

73 de Thierry, F4GVO