Winlog32 Shut Down

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: Winlog32 Shut Down

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Rich

OK then, keep me posted....

So when you encounter the problem, does Winlog32 freeze or does it pop-up an on-screen error? It's unusual for a program to shut-down by itself without some kind of user action.

I had left my shack computer (W7) running since the early part of this week, but noticed today it had updated (restarted) overnight, but all was still running though (Winlog32+cluster auto- start).

Whilst I was in the shack this afternoon, I did a repair to my 30L-1, and noticed that when I power up with the beast for a blast on JTDX, it was completely locking up the computer, all stop, no interaction from keyboard or mouse, after about 5 minutes in that state, it would start working again as though nothing had happened.
It's a strange one, don't think this is anything related to what you experience, as this definitely seems to be RF inspired, usually when this type of lock occurs it would be a driver<>kernel problem, will have to fix this first.
Never a dull moment, at least the 30L-1 is running again.....

73 Colin.
G0CUZ
G0BLB
Keen user

Post by G0BLB »

Hi Colin
It has shut down 4 times over the last week,
It happened yesterday when I was looking at the screen it is just like putting the switch down no warning no error just disappears I reboot the log and off we go again.
I now have had the log running with cluster but NO cluster no2 or NO log DXCC Display Detached running.
If it still shuts down I will change my computer to an older model and see what happens with that one.
Don't spend any more time on it Colin I will run the other for a few weeks and let you no.
Thanks for all the help the machine I have with all the radio stuff on is a Lenovo only 8 months old I will go back to the HP machine.
73 Rich
G0BLB
G0BLB
Keen user

Post by G0BLB »

Hi Colin
I have had no shut downs with the HP window10 machine so it must be some thing with the Lenove computer.
Sorry if I put you to any trouble every thing is stable now running 24/7.
Kind Regards
73 Rich
G0BLB
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

OK Rich

Thanks for getting back to the Forum and the update on this.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Post by DL4KG »

Hello,

I also have shutdown behaviour for some weeks. I think it is related to the connection with WSJT-X. As long as I use WSJT-X there are no problems. Everthing is running smoothly. Sometimes I exit WSJT-X or just switch off the TRX and keep WL32 running because I do QSOs in other modes. After I while I found WL32 also exited. There is no data loss, it has just stopped.
I have no idea what the problem is as I am not just a PC user.
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Gerald

Thanks for the report.

If you find any common factor which always causes this problem, please report back.

I tend to use JTDX now, have not had any problems myself but will work on this when I have a little more to go on.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Post by DL4KG »

Hi Colin,

I still have shutdowns from time to time. So far I couldn´t recognize a reason for that. There are long phases where WL32 is running for hours without problems.
Maybe there is an issue with the interface to WSJT-X. After running some FT8 QSOs I normally close WSJT-X and hit the button "initialise" in the rigs window to get the automatic frequency fill-in for the "non-digital" modes. After these procedure I have the impression that WL32 shutdown after a time. But that is always after a longer period of inactivity - mostly when I left the station and after coming back I found WL32 closed.

Hope that gives some ideas to you. I am not a programmer so I have no idea what might be the reason for that behaviour.
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

I've never experienced this myself!

The only think I can suggest at the moment is in WSJTX or JTDX Settings tab 'Reporting'

Under section 'Network Services'

UDP Server

Make sure that the options are NOT enabled (they are not needed) but obviously keep UDP address and port number as before, just make sure these options are not enabled.

73 Colin, G0CUZ
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Post by DL4KG »

Hi Colin,

the options were never enabled here. Is there any option available for a failure report in WL32?
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

No there isn't Gerald, I really don't see how it is possible for Winlog32 to shut down without some sort of instruction, what I would expect is for the program to stop executing, e.g. lock-up, as I have said, I have never experienced a program shutting down without some sort of instruction from the end user or op. system - even the op. system can't do it without flagging up something.

I know I have a lot of difficulties with both JTDX and WSJT locking up and usually the system unexpectedly, the sound interface is not very robust and will stop working occasionally, this is not unusual for programs that were not specifically developed for Windows systems, but that's another story.

I think the only clue to this issue will be when you actually witness what is happening and see the circumstances.

73 Colin
G0CUZ