log transfer from one pc to another

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
g4oec
New user

log transfer from one pc to another

Post by g4oec »

II ve been using winlog32 for about 19 years never had any problems. I recently bought a lap top and decided to transfer my log from an
old pc using windows 7, it was okay until transferred my log to the new one from a memory stick then lost 40k entries, glad to say I still had the old pc running. Incidently the same happened the other way round....but still managed to same all my contacts.. Hope this make sense???
Any ideas why????
regards
Mac/G4OEC
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: log transfer from one pc to another

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Mac

There are several ways to transfer your log from one PC to another, and it is not clear which way you tried to do this.

The back-up file is an exact copy of your log file, so it is usually a simple file copy/move operation, either manual or within Winlog32.

ALWAYS keep a back-up log file safely stored before you start moving files around, if you copy files in the wrong direction you can easily replace old for new.

If you can elaborate on the problem, or at what stage this fell down, I'll advise further.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
g4oec
New user

Post by g4oec »

I DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED WINLOG32 ONTO MY NEW LAPTOP - HAD ALL MY CONTACTS ONTO A MEMORY STICK,
USED FILE MAINTENANCE/GET LOG DATABASE ETC, WHEN I TRIED TO LOAD THE LOG I GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE WHICH
UNFORTUNATELY I DIDNT NOTE, BUT WHATEVER IT WAS IT DELETED ALL MY ENTRIES, THIS I MIGHT ADD IS ONLY SINCE I
INSTALLED THE LATEST UPDATE, IVE BEEN DOING IT THIS WAY ON ANOTHER LAPTOP FOR SOME YEARS WITH NO PROBLEM
CHEERS
MAC
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Mac

Then I don't know how that happened, I just did a few 'Get Log...' transfers and it functioned just as expected.

I can assure you that Winlog32 can not 'delete' logs, so without further info -like warning messages, I don't know what may have gone wrong.

The 'Get Log...' function is just a simple copy/replace - just like if you did it manually.

Let me know if it happens again and take note of the actual circumstance.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
g4oec
New user

Post by g4oec »

COLIN THANKS FOR INFO - IVE FOUND THE PROBLEM IT WAS MY MEMORY STICK, IVE PURCHASED ANOTHER AND THERE HAS BEEN NO PROBLEM

BEST WISHES
MAC/G4OEC