Winlog32 Shut Down

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
G0BLB
Keen user

Winlog32 Shut Down

Post by G0BLB »

Hi Colin,
Over the last 2 months my Winlog was shut down some times three times in a day my other G friends there log has done the same
I am wondering if any other hams have been suffering or is it a WINDOWS problem for some of us.
I have all ways keeped the log and cluster running 24/7.
Hope you had a good Christmas and best wishes for 2019
Regards
Rich G0BLB
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: Winlog32 Shut Down

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Richard

Thanks for the wishes.

I have had no other correspondence about that problem.

Could you be more specific about 'Shutdown', does the program quit on its own, lock-up or what? I have never heard of it happening, if it only happens after a long session (some days) then possibly a memory leakage issue depending on usage and system specs, the continual look-ups off the cluster would be most likely the cause of that.

It is only on the odd occasion I leave my system running for more than a few hours (oops...forgot), so never encountered this happening, but will run some tests, perhaps you can also check after a couple of days continuous to see what memory usage there has been (Windows Task Manager)

Happy New Year
73 Colin
G0CUZ
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Well as a test I let Winlog32 run unattended with the DXCluster enabled fetching and filtering spots.
When I went back to it three days later, everything was still working as expected, this was on a low spec. W7 machine.
So I await further comments on this.
ZL3LF
Site Admin

Post by ZL3LF »

Just by way of observation...

I run winlog32 on a windows 8 netbook which is a bit resource challenged.

If I leave winlog32 running with the cluster window it does not close but the machine almost completely grids to a halt after a couple of days. Closing winlog32 takes 3-4 minutes from clicking close to getting the confirmation, then another couple of minutes to close. I'll leave it running for a few days without the cluster open and see what happens...

73, Chris
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for that info Chris.

I'll run a longer test and see what memory is being used after a longer spell, as I remember about 20MB is normally used when running which is comparatively minimal as software goes, I would expect this to increase over several days though, as not all memory is recovered, this is due to the continual opening/closing of databases, (Prefix/DXCC etc.), which is part of the DXCluster checking functions. The Prefix database in particular is used for every spot and this database is constantly increasing - currently about 27,000 entries in that database.

There is a debug option, which may show up something (menu/File/Maintenance/File Maintenance) when option is enabled, will write a trapped errors report to file.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
ZL3LF
Site Admin

Post by ZL3LF »

Ok...

So not winlog32 causing my win 8 (8.1 actually) hang problem..

Left winlog32 running since my last post, and just checked the netbook before going to bed and it was going so slow it might as well have hung.

Poked around a bit and it's the Google Backup & sync client eating ram. Stopped that and winlog32 became responsive again.

So I'm not much help in this instance. :-)

73, HNY, Chris H.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for the feedback Chris, useful to know.

I've started a long test on Winlog32, will keep running for a couple of days or so and see what memory leakage is accumulated.

I've not add an answer to G0BLB's original comment, so can't get a lot further than this yet.

Will post test results.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
G0BLB
Keen user

Post by G0BLB »

Hi Colin,
I have run my other windows 10 for the last week and no problem with only the log and cluster and NO shutting down,
But on the other windows 10 with all the soft ware and the flex radio that one has shut down 3 times.
I will send a picture of my screen with the memory chart on separately I have been running this machine like this for last year +
It probably is a windows up date of 2 months ago.
Regards
Rich G0BLB
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks Rich
I got the pictures although they are not clear enough to see any detail.
Looking at the memory usage, Winlog32 is running as expected with about 25MB usage and that is typical what I see, in comparison I see around 200MB? being used by the SDR - is that normal, do you leave that running all the time?
Also keep an eye on WSJT, I have had some issues with that locking up on me for no apparent reason during usage, it doesn't seem to be the most stable software, I prefer to use JTDX myself and so far have not seen the same problems.
I am still not sure what you mean by 'Shut Down' is this a BSD or just an apparent lock-up?
I'm still on a long soak test running only a single cluster window, after a couple of days not much changed in memory usage on my Windows 7 machine.
Don't forget to enable the Winlog32 debug option which may show up something.
G0BLB
Keen user

Post by G0BLB »

Hi Colin,
Yes I have the debug option enabled in shoes lots about ARRL log.
I mean by shut down I lose Wlog but no data I then have start it up again, the computer still works fine.
I have changed over to run JTDX see how that goes.
With the Flex I have DX, Smart Cat, and smart SDR total of about 255 MB, Log 24.7 MB, WSJTX 83.5 MB.
I will report back in a weeks time to let you no if any thing has changed and to see if you have come up with any thing.
I still think it my be Windows 10 I have a lot of trouble with the ports on the Flex every time there is a new update from Windows.
73 Rich
G0BLB