[REQ] Best way to merge 1 log to another one

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

[REQ] Best way to merge 1 log to another one

Post by F4GVO »

Hi Colin, Hi folks of the forum

A few years ago, I decided to create 2 different logs (and with them 2 different database), on for "HF" bands and another one only for my 6m QSOs. Now, I would like to merge the 6m into the HF one.
Right now, I think you export my 6m Log and to import it in the HF one. But that's means that I need to use "Check robot" all over theses contacts to update my DXCC database populate it with these new DXCC worked/confirmed.
So before doing that, which will take time because I think I can not let robot to it automatically, because of older QSO made before...
So, what is the best way to merge my 6m to my all bands HF log ?
thank very much in advance

73 de Thoerry; F4GVO
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: [REQ] Best way to merge 1 log to another one

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Thoerry

How easy this is depends on whether you have two LOGS in one database (which share the same DXCC/IOTA etc data)
or if you have two different log databases which do NOT share these.

If you have the 2 logs contained in one log database, then export one into the other and you should not need the Robot as the databases should have been populated from either of these logs.

If you have two separate log databases then you still have to export/import but you will need to use the LCR to update the ancillary databases (DXCC/VHF etc).

Another option is to make a brand new log database which will have a new set of blank DXCC?IOTA/VHF databases and import all QSO into that Log then use the Robot - the advantage here is that any errors in existing links between Log and ancillary databases will be fixed.

Hope that doesn't confuse you two much!

Oh, and I am not sure why you think that earlier QSO can not use the automatic function in the Robot? I suggest that the automated function should be used if you have a lot of QSO, if you explain perhaps I can suggest something though.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Post by F4GVO »

Hi Colin, Thanks for your answer.

Your answer is clear, no problem at all !

The logs use two separate databases.

Your second option seems to be the best. I may try this one but the problem with the Robot (or better said, I must use it wrong) is when I used it with all options checked (and maybe it is my mistake :oops: ), it will ask each QSO if I want to add the specific grid in database or/and DXCC. It is ok if the QSO is marked has QSLin but if not, it should not ask... So for a bunch of QSOs, I will be a thousands mouse clicks to do the job.

No sure what I wrote is clear.. sorry

73 de Thierry
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hello again Thierry

So are you saying... that if you have the 'AUTO' option enabled in the Log Check Robot, it still prompts you to update the databases?

If auto is enabled, it should NOT do that unless the Robot encounters a problem with the QSO (e.g. a missing entity code' or some other important log data missing)

If some of your QSO are missing the entity code (in the 'CODE' field) then first run the Robot through the Log to populate this field with the codes and ALL LCR OPTIONS SHOULD BE DISABLED to do this - this too is automatic apart if it does encounter a problem QSO.

Otherwise I can not think of any other reason that will not let the LCR do it's job when AUTO is checked.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Post by F4GVO »

Good morning Colin

Well, it is said that a picture worth thousand words. So let's take an example.
Here is a QSO from my logbook, with the LRC window:

As you can see, this QSO has not been yet confirmed by anyway as QSLin is empty.

If I start Log Check Robot for this QSO, I get this three asking windows:

And for a QSO with Gridlocator, State, etc... in Remarks, if new it will ask me each time if I want to update the specific databases.

As I wrote before, maybe I am using wrong the LCR becaue I check all option but NOT the 'AUTO' one.
If I merge my 50Mhz log, it will be a bunch of Grid locators. I don't want these to be added on my VHF database if the QSOs are not confirmed.

Hope I am clearer now ;)

73 de Thierry, F4GVO
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

OK Thoerry, thanks for explaining.

Could the solution be to disable the LCR VHF Locator option (so QSO are Grids are NOT added by the LCR), and enable the LCR AUTO or can you see a problem with this?

Unfortunately there is no option to add ONLY confirmed grids to the VHF database (same for other databases), as you know the database has various filtering for this reason.
Frankly, I do not see where you have a problem in having both 6m and 2m QSO in the VHF Database, bands/status etc. are filtered separately but perhaps I am missing something in the way you want your data.

Without the LCR AUTO option, you will always have these pop-ups, and each will need manual confirmation.

You only need to enable those databases which interest you, each option will take up separate processing and input time, so the less you have enabled, the quicker will be the process, you can always go back later and run the Robot with new options if ever required.

Another possibility to run the LCR without VHF enabled (for DXCC etc) in AUTO mode, then run LCR again with ONLY VHF enabled and AUTO disabled, update manually only QSO Confirmed, this may work? (but still some work, hi)

73 Colin
G0CUZ
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Post by F4GVO »

Hi Colin,

Thanks for answer and tips. I think I will add my 6m QSO in my "all HF bands" log to merge the first one with the second one and use several time LCR to add any confirmed QSO with all necessaries infos added validated in my database.
It will be the best option for me I think !

73's and thanks for your time !

Thierry, F4GVO
F4GVO
Bit of a boffin

Post by F4GVO »

news from this morning (9H UTCà

I then exported my 6m log to a full ADIF file, I then imported it on my HF log, without any problem.
I have use search log to show me all "50" band contacts. I then can bring each one I want, in this case, the ones which has been confirmed and so I use LCR on them to add grids, dxccs, etc.. as confirmed on the databases.

Anyway, I made a mistake, I validate one which has not been confirmed so now when looking on the VHF database, I have this grid locator confirmed by this call. Is there a way to "deleted" this info ? I try the traditional deleted keys from the keyboard, and right button from the mouse but.... I am sure there is a way, but can't find it right now...

Thanks in advance,

73 de Thierry F4GVO
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Glad things are sorted Thierry

Yes, to delete a QSO record from the VHF (and other) database

Switch to 'list view'(1st toolbar button) so that a list of QSO is shown, click the left-most column of the QSO list (->) so that the complete row is HIGHLIGHTED, then keyboard DELETE key.

Incidentally, if you want to update a single QSO to the VHF (and other) database from the Log - it can be done without the Robot.
Place cursor in QSO 'Remarks' field and press keyboard 'ENTER'

73 Colin G0CUZ
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Oh, and if you didn't know you can use the 'Search log' option to find only Confirmed 6m QSO in your log.

You need a query something like this which you can paste into the Search log query box and EXECUTE button.

Select * from LOG where band between 50 and 51 and (QSLIN like 'B*' OR QSLIN LIKE 'D*' or QSLIN LIKE 'V*') order By Date, STime

You may need to change the word LOG to the name of the LOG you are searching.

73 Colin
G0CUZ