QSL markings and how to get Country to show on log

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
W5KAP
New user

Post by W5KAP »

Guys, I must be dense but I can't figure out what the software wants in the QSO fields. After importing my log via ADIF I can see that I'm getting DXCC Credit for the countries I have confirmed. I found many that I have confirmed that I neglected to mark as such. Does "out" mean the date I sent the card and "in" as the date I received it? Sent and received tags would be much more intuitive! Also, what does it want in there? I tried dates to no avail. Is a simple "Y" in the block going to work? I know to use the "Enter" to make sure the DB is updated. I am confused. Also, how do I get eh country to show up on my log page? Please be patient with me as I am changing over from DX4WIN and trying to get this program nailed down. Thanks for your time and help in advance

73 de Kenn W5KAP
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Kenn

QSLIN and QSLOUT means what you have assumed, you can put "Y","B" or "D" in QSLIN (received) and that's a confirmation - this usually has a date added thus "B 01/01/13".

The country data shows up in the country data pane just right of where you input the callsign, this is done automatically (use the enter key), if this is not happening, then go to menu/Database/Prefix/Auto = enable.

That should get you going, but this is a complex program, you really need to study the help files to get the best from it.

See the online help section:

http://help.winlog32.co.uk/hlp_newuser.aspx

73 Colin
G0CUZ
W5KAP
New user

Post by W5KAP »

Thanks Colin. And I agree completely. I need to read much more. I just got so frustrated with DX4WIn and I outdrove my headlights so to speak, getting involved in a new program. I'll figure it out I promise

Cheers, Kenn
N5PHT
New user

Post by N5PHT »

Hello Kenn,

Just wanted to say hang in there. WinLog32 is excellent. I used another program for so many years I thought I would never change but I am glad that I changed and yes it took a little while to find the answers but certainly this program does it all for loggers.

There are lots and lots of great features and I am sure you will enjoy the program.

Gary, N5PHT

quote:Originally posted by W5KAP

Thanks Colin. And I agree completely. I need to read much more. I just got so frustrated with DX4WIn and I outdrove my headlights so to speak, getting involved in a new program. I'll figure it out I promise

Cheers, Kenn
W5KAP
New user

Post by W5KAP »

quote:Originally posted by N5PHT

Hello Kenn,

Just wanted to say hang in there. WinLog32 is excellent. I used another program for so many years I thought I would never change but I am glad that I changed and yes it took a little while to find the answers but certainly this program does it all for loggers.

There are lots and lots of great features and I am sure you will enjoy the program.

Gary, N5PHT

Gary, I know I have a steeplearning curve and I think I am getting mmore familiar with the software everyday. As to my last questiuon concerning the country name showing on my log page; Simply put, it doesn't! I can see the country number for those QSO's that are comfirmed but I would like to see the country displayed on the log page not just in the logging window where I input the QSO. I have looked all over the set up pages etc and I can't seem to find this Any ideas? I did what Colin said but it was already checked and I can see the country name in the current QSO as I am logging it but I can't see it listed on my log page. Perhaps it doesn't do that hehehehe

Thanks for your positive feedback. Everyone has been very nice and hellpful. I guess I am lucky ina way as I have been hamming for 35 years and still don't have 3000 QSO's so I don't have a huge amount of data to worry about

73 De Kenn W5KAP

quote:Originally posted by W5KAP

Cheers, Kenn

G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hey Kenn

Winlog32 does not store the country name in the log fields, the is produced in real-time in the country display window - this is taken from the DXCC entity code which is stored in the log database, or when first adding a QSO - the name/code is pulled from the prefix database,
If you really must have the country name in the log, there is an option to do this.

menu/Options/Settings TAB Auto Add - country

In my opinion this is unnecessary and superfluous, but it is there if you must have it.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
W5KAP
New user

Post by W5KAP »

quote:Originally posted by G0CUZ

Hey Kenn

Winlog32 does not store the country name in the log fields, the is produced in real-time in the country display window - this is taken from the DXCC entity code which is stored in the log database, or when first adding a QSO - the name/code is pulled from the prefix database,
If you really must have the country name in the log, there is an option to do this.

Thanks, Colin. you're entirely right in tatgit is supeflous. I just kinda like seeing it there. I note I already had that set up but I still don't see the country name on the log page. I have tried expanding each of the fields in case I somehow had it hidden. It's no big deal though Colin, honest. Iam enjoying trying this out along with HRD. Both are great programs. Once I make up my mind I'll pay for the latest version. thanks you for your patience with me and for the great respoonses.

73 de Kenn W5KAP

I'll be in England in the Fall for a couple of days (London and then Southampton before a transatlantic cruise)

menu/Options/Settings TAB Auto Add - country

In my opinion this is unnecessary and superfluous, but it is there if you must have it.

73 Colin
G0CUZ