FT1000MP losing rig support

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
G3ZQH
New user

Post by G3ZQH »

If anyone has exact settings successfully used with an FT1000MP could they please post them. These are the settings in the rig window with polling rate, baud rate, delay value etc.

I have had this problem with losing rig control for a while, but seems worse recently. It happens very easily when clicking on a spot, or clicking in band view, band switching or just moving the VFO...doesn't happen consistently, but probably happens several times in a short session. The rig window usually has a totally wrong frequency, say 300.0015 or whatever (never the same) which suggests it is linked to the CAT control.

I have tried various settings in the rig control, but none seem to change this problem. Hence if others have a successful formula I would like to try that out to see if it solves my problem.

Thanks in anticipation of any help.

73 Dave G3ZQH
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

hi Dave

I have not personally tried the RCW with a FT1000 but can only suggest the following:

Slow up polling period down to as slow as you can bear.

Increase the delay factor to highest setting (most noughts)

A problem you describe may be the result of data colisions - this can happen with a fast polling period e.g. not enough time to process received packets.

I'm sure there are others who have the FT-1000series hooked up so hopefully you may get some better advice.
GU6EFB
Keen user

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi

A user had similar issues with an Icom rig and it turned out to be dirty
contacts on the RS232 port try unplugging and replugging in your lead a few times.

Just a thought

73 Keith
mm0amw
Keen user

Post by mm0amw »

Keith, it was me who had the problem with the Icom rig. Thought I'd cleared it up by cleaning the pins on the COM port but it persisted and eventually I bought a cable that used a USB connector instead of the COM and it's been fine since. It might have been a fault in the cable or on the COM port side, who knows, but the symptoms above seem very familiar.
K2WLO
New user

Post by K2WLO »

I've recently had the same problem. I have an FT-920 and I am using a USB to RS-232 cable. It had been fine for awhile but seems to act up on occasion now. I have to close rig control and reopen to restore order.
G3ZQH
New user

Post by G3ZQH »

Thanks to Colin and others for comments. The connector is fine- I have had difficulties before with bad connections and this is usually noted by the lack of the flashing 'CAT' on the FT1000MP display. After some experimenting with Colin's suggestions I have found that the slower settings for polling and delay do indeed improve stability, but at the cost of a much slower bandmap response eg when tuning. So, it is a trade off between stability and speed of response. When it freezes the solution is to close and re-open the rig control as already mentioned.

73 Dave G3ZQH
K2WLO
New user

Post by K2WLO »

Dave,
What was the polling speed you found to work the best for you? I currently have mine set to 1000 (1 second).

Tnks John K2WLO
G3ZQH
New user

Post by G3ZQH »

Hi John
I found a polling period of 1000 = 1 sec was the best compromise. Any faster and I started to get problems any slower and there was too much lag time. I used the second to highest delay value. Previously I had used faster polling periods of 300 or 500- either of these definitely cause frequent drop outs with me.
73 Dave G3ZQH
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

I am not sure if yopu can change the CAT baud rate on the FT1000 series, if you can, try using a higher speed - the baud rate MUST match in Rig/RCW, the higher the speed the faster the data exchange and perhaps this can work with faaster polling speeds..

N.B. Best mention that the baud setting for digital modes has nothing to do with the CAT setting, so don't confuse.