Icom freq readout

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
mm0amw
Keen user

Icom freq readout

Post by mm0amw »

The rig control window loses track of my freq readout after a few minutes and freezes at the last freq used.All other functions of rig control work, ie clicking on a freq in the cluster window qsy's the rig to that freq, the freq readout changes correctly but sticks there until I select another cluster freq.Rig is an Icom 756 Pro 3. Any ideas?
mm0amw
Keen user

Icom freq readout

Post by mm0amw »

It's not a Winlog32 problem as I tried it out on another program and the same thing happens. Tracks freq as I spin the vfo for about a minute then freezes. I've tried altering all the settings within WL32 and on the radio itself but no joy. Can still change mode and qsy via the memory buttons in the rig control window but it just won't track my dial for some reason. I'm stumped.
GU6EFB
Keen user

Icom freq readout

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi

Try turning the CIV transceive on or off as this can cause funny side effects if not set correctly.

73 Keith GU6EFB
mm0amw
Keen user

Icom freq readout

Post by mm0amw »

Keith, thanks for the suggestion. That was the only control I hadn't altered as I thought it would have to be on for rig control purposes. I turned it off to begin with and although it wouldn't track my dial freq it would update when I pressed the Initialise button which was a big improvement to begin with. I then re-enabled CI-V Transceive and all seems to be well again with the rig control window now tracking my freq/mode perfectly. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

David
MM0AMW
mm0amw
Keen user

Icom freq readout

Post by mm0amw »

Spoke too soon,problem has returned and CI-V transceive on/off doesn't help now.
GU6EFB
Keen user

Icom freq readout

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi David

My Icom settings in Winlog are

Comport 1
Enable RTS Yes
Enable DTR Yes
Baud Rate 4800
Delay Value 1000000
Rig address 64

Rig settings

CIV Baud Rate 4800
CIV address 64h
CIV Transceive ON

Anything else is off

Don't try to run a too higher baud rate strange things happen

Are you using a USB to serial converter as not all types implement the correct RS232 format

The above works ok for me and various Icom Rigs 756 pro 11 though to 910 and 7600

73 Keith
mm0amw
Keen user

Icom freq readout

Post by mm0amw »

Thanks for that Keith, I reset everything to match your settings and although it worked for a couple of minutes it froze again. Not using a USB/RS232 converter, it's a cable straight to the COM port. I've tried every combination of settings but still the same problem occurs. Very frustrating. I don't suppose processor speed would have anything to do with it, I upgraded to a faster one a while back and prob seems to have got worse but it was still happening before that anyway. Might be rig problem,don't know what to try now.

David
MM0AMW
GU6EFB
Keen user

Icom freq readout

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi David

What CIV interface are you using or dose the Pro 3 have Direct USB connection?

73 Keith
GU6EFB
Keen user

Icom freq readout

Post by GU6EFB »

David

Download and test you CIV connection with the following it may help identify the issue

http://www.plicht.de/ekki/software/civt.zip

73 Keith
mm0amw
Keen user

Icom freq readout

Post by mm0amw »

I'm using a STANDARD Icom CI-V CT-17 CAT Interface cable from G4ZLP electronics. I downloaded the program you suggested and have it working and it is tracking my freq perfectly and have tried several other commands through it and all worked fine. In the process of checking things out I unplugged my cable from the COM port on the pc and then reconnected it and now all seems to be ok, I wonder if it was something as simple as a bad connection on the RS232 interface. I'll give it a few hours and see how it goes.