FT 2000 rig control

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
ZS4JAN
New user

FT 2000 rig control

Post by ZS4JAN »

I am a WINLOG 32 user since 2003. My station runs with WINLOG 32 and two Yaesu FT1000MP's with a minor hardware mod.

I cannot get the Yaesu FT2000 to communicate with WINLOG32. The standard 9 pin serial cable is connected and setup as per FT1000 in the Yaesu V control window. The baudrate selected is 4500 and the RTS line has been selected.

On top of the rig control window it states that FT2000 is on line, but there is no other communication between the rig and the computer.

Even when forcing the com ports in "device manager" to another com port do not resolve the problem.

The FT2000 and serial cable do work with other contest software, so i rule out any possible harware problems. a Friend suggested shorting pins 7 and 8 on the serial cable to force hardware handshaking, but nothing happened.

Any users of the Yaesu FT2000 with WINLOG 32 that can help me or any suggestions ?

Jan...ZS4JAN
ZS4JAN
New user

FT 2000 rig control

Post by ZS4JAN »

I've sorted the problem with the Yaesu FT2000 rig control.

The only version of WINLOG 32 that works with the FT2000 is ver: 4.2.07
I,ve tested all the versions up to 4.5.01.
The test was conducted on a home pc with a onboard serial port, a straight through serial cable (standard cable).
Baud rate set at 4800 and RTS selected.

The test was done on a laptop computer with a TRENDnet (TU-9S) serial to usb converter and the same settings as above.

It seems as if there is a problem with the rig control software with all the versions after ver:4.2.07
I saved all the versions on a file on my pc. I prefer to do a new install of WINLOG 32 everytime a new version appears.

Please let me know if my explanation is not clear.

Very happy WINLOG 32 user.

Thanx

Jan...ZS4JAN

Edited by - ZS4JAN on 01/10/2008 2:37:38 PM
G0CUZ
Site Admin

FT 2000 rig control

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for the explanation Jan

I am looking into this.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
G0CUZ
Site Admin

FT 2000 rig control

Post by G0CUZ »

Hello again Jan

The major change from the quoted version to more recent releases of Winlog32 was the multiple-RCW environment, this means that the 'ACTIVE' window takes control of the rig, this way it is possible to change between rigs - the active RCW will take control, but if you understand this behaviour then perhasp you can try the following.

On a recent or the latest version e.g. one that doesn't work with FT-2000.

Try without opening the other Yaesu RCW (for the FT-1000)

No good , try something else......

Apply correct settings to Yaesu V window.

Close and restart the RCW Window, check that you have Yaesu FT-2000 on Com(x), in title bar.
If Rig AND RCW are not responding AT ALL, try clicking on "Initialise" button.
If rig is still not responding.
Open RCW Menu item 'Settings' - OTHER and Increase 'delay value' to 10000000 e.g. highest value on drop-down list, close options.
Check again using 'Init." button.

Is there no response at all e.g. try sending freq and mode from RCW?

Anyone else currently using FT-2000, FT-100, FT-450, FT950, FTDX9000D? can confirm this problem?

Another thought is the USB/serial convertor, have you tried on a bespoke serial com port? maybe on another computer if your laptop does not have one.
I have always found USB/Serial a problem area, because it works with other software it is not proof that the problem is not around here.....

Perhaps you would like to email me direct Jan, it will be quicker and maybe we can run some debug tests.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
ZS4JAN
New user

FT 2000 rig control

Post by ZS4JAN »

Hello Colin

All the options that you have mentioned has been tried without any luck.
The other versions has been tested with an onboard serial port. Only version 4.2.07 is working. Even using a usb to serial converter works as advertized.

I,ve tried all the suggestions that i could find at GOOGLE for eg. shorting the RTS and CTS pins. Some even suggested using a network cable (twisted TX RX data line).

The FT2000 works with a standard nul modem type cable. Pins 2,3,5,7,8 must be connected.

The selections that is available when selecting Yaesu FT2000 in the rig control window is correct, so i did not adjust any settings.

Ive helped 3 WINLOG32 users to connect the Yaesu FT2000 to the software. One setup uses the onboard serial port. The other two setups uses the usb/serial converters without any problems.

I've looked at the workshop manuals of the FT1000, 920, 857, 897, 450, 950, 2000 to check what type of cat control they use.

Only the Yaesu FT450 and the FT2000 uses the RTS and CTS lines extra when compared to the other rigs. I,ve tried to connect the FT2000 to the FT450 rig control window but no communications.

All the settings where checked and i,ve tested on 3 different comports nl. comports 1, 4, 5.

Everybody here is very happy with there stations. This is my findings while experimenting with different settings and setups.

One last comment: alot of WINLOG32 users in South Africa knocks on my door for help. It vary's from the basic logbook setup to more advanced problems. I am more than willing to help because i think this is the best software log available for running your station.

What does the run time error code "3159" means. My log never sees the internet, so no eQSL uploads. I will in a new topic elaborate on this strange problem that is bugging me from the very first versions.

Jan...ZS4JAN
JE1TRV
New user

FT 2000 rig control

Post by JE1TRV »

I downloaded V4.9.1 and registered recently.
I could control K3 easily.
But I cannot control FT-2000.
If there is anyone who is successfully controlling FT-2000 under V4.9.1, please let me know how you made it.

Atsu, JE1TRV

Atsu
André
New user

FT 2000 rig control

Post by André »

Hi, I'm using a FT-950 with a real COM1 port. But to keep the frequency readout in keep with the VFO knob I need to select the FT-2000 as rig. The FT-950 option freeses the readout in winlog32. Any clues?

Thanks in advance,

73 André pe1hwo

Edited by - andré on 09/10/2009 9:53:56 PM
G0CUZ
Site Admin

FT 2000 rig control

Post by G0CUZ »

I have been again looking over the code for the Yaesu V rig control window which controls (only) FT-2000, DX9000D, 450, 100D.

Some guys have the RCW working some not, I do not have any of these rig types available for testing, so finding this particular problem is so difficult towards impossible, but I have again made some changes to areas which I think may affect operation.
N.B. I think I have fixed the FT-450 problem reported in one of the posts.

One thing I am concerned about is, that once you have updated to version 5, it will not be easily possible to revert back to v4 at a later date.

If anyone who has one of the above rig types and can confirm that it is not working with their rig and wants to do some testing, I will be glad of the help.
Please email me direct.
It is not likely that any fixes for the YaesuV RCW will be ready for V5 launch which will be quite soon.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
ZS4JAN
New user

FT 2000 rig control

Post by ZS4JAN »

Hi Colin

I can confirm that only ver.4.2.07 is working with Yaesu FT2000. Version 4.2.07 works with onboard serial ports and usb/serial converters. All functions currently tested, rigcontrol and clusters work with this version and FT2000.

I do not own a FT2000, but i do manage a few stations using Winlog32 and FT2000. Everytime a new update is available I download a full version to save, so i have a few Winlog32 versions available.

I always do `n complete new installation when an update is available. I simply copy and paste the log folder to the new installation and in time run the internal robots. All versions after ver4.2.07 up to v4.9 do not work with FT2000

Jan...ZS4JAN
m0boc
New user

Re: FT 2000 rig control

Post by m0boc »

Hi ZS4JAN, where can I get this version? looked everywhere and cannot find it