Rotator Suport

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
GU6EFB
Keen user

Rotator Suport

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

Are there any plans to suport any other rotators other than ARSWIN
It would be nice if would be possible to suport say the Yaesu GS232 format

73 Keith
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Rotator Suport

Post by DL4KG »

Hi Keith,

ARSWIN is not a rotator but an universal tracking interface suitable for the most actual rotators.
I am using ARSWIN with a CREATE RC5-3 for moon tracking on 432 MHz EME.

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
GU6EFB
Keen user

Rotator Suport

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Gerald

Ok I think I phased the question badly I know that ARSWIN is a interface and not a rotator.

Maybe what I should have asked was.

Are their any plans to support other rotator interfaces other than ARSWIN?
I have several GS232 format interfaces here and can use them with my contesting software and would like to use then with winlog32

Its also very cheap and easy to make a GS232 format interface. The ARSWIN is a very good product but I don’t really want to buy yet another interface.

73 Keith

Web page at
http://gu6efb.shacknet.nu
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Rotator Suport

Post by G0CUZ »

Hello Keith

Looking at this briefly it would seem thet the Yaesu rotators mentioned (or any other) do not allow direct software control which is a pity. Presumably there must be a hardware interface between Computer and Rotator.

I can only guess there will be a different command set for each piece of hardware controlller interface? which will not make this a simple task however if you can supply me with the relative information I will look closer still.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
GU6EFB
Keen user

Rotator Suport

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

Re: Rotator interfacing.

Right ware to start

The rotator interface is a small board that sits between the computer and the rotator control box. Like ARSWIN unit.

The interface can drive directly some of the more modern rotators with no modifications to the control box.

The interface can also control older control boxes via relays or tricas.

There are many designs on the web for the interface some even sell the PCB or you can by the genuine Yaesu GS232 interface but they don’t come cheap.

The data format that they use is generally know as the GS232 format.

The GS232 data format to operate the interface needs just a text line to be sent thru the serial port at 4800 baud. The format consists of the letter ‘W’ a 3 digit number representing the azimuth value a space character a 3 digit number for elev if required and finally a carriage return (0Dh)

I will add that I am no software writer but am fine with the electronic side of things.

Hope this is of interest to you.

Please let me know if you need further information and I will try and help.

73 Keith GU6EFB
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Rotator Suport

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for that info Keith

Looks like this will be possible.

I need to know the format of the 'feedback' (if any) that the controller sends back of its current AZ/EL position - perhaps this is the same format either way? e.g "W 000 000", and is the EL sent as "000" if the rotator has no elevation posibilities or is it not included in the command line?

I have looked around the 'net but after a couple of hours searching, I have still not found the exact GS232 protocol description.

Anyway I will working on this and guess that you will be game for testing in due coarse.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author