Ending a QSO

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
MW0CDO
New user

Ending a QSO

Post by MW0CDO »

Hi Colin.

I've been using Winlog for ages.. since Super Winlog, and find it superb for my style of operating.

Since installing Winlog v 1.8, I have a small, but annoying, feature as follows.

When I've input any comments, or placed the cursor in the comments field within the real time log, any attempt to place the cursor in any other field will end the QSO as if I'd clicked the END button.
This didn't happen in earlier versions, where I could move to any field at will.. for example, say I had just input the other op's name in the comments field and then got my report from him and clicked the report in field to enter the report. Old versions of Winlog would allow this no problem, but in v1.8 doing this will end the QSO immediately.
I normally use the TAB key to step down through the fields if this makes any difference, but using the mouse makes no difference to this behaviour.

I have Speed Log enabled if this makes any difference, but I've used every previous version with it enabled as well.

PC spec.. a P233 64Mb RAM 10Gb HD
No CD callbook in use
OS is Win98se2
Used with several earlier versions of Winlog32 without any problems.

Many thanks for a fine program, the ADIF export and various databases are very useful for a little data mining :-)

Paul MW0CDO Port Talbot
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Ending a QSO

Post by G0CUZ »

hi Paul

Thanks for the comments.

I am sure it is having "Speed Log" enabled that causes this behaviour.

I will not argue that it may have not have behaved this way in previous versions, if I changed the procedure for the Speed Log option there would have been a good reason but I really don't remember what it was.

At some stage the "Speed" option must be fired, in this case it is when when the cursor focus leaves the 'Remarks' field as at this point the job is done.
I do not think that there is anyway I can change this behaviour so that it only happens with the Tab/Enter Key, but I will have a look at it.

Simple way would be to turn off the Speed Log Option if you think that you may have to edit the log in real time, as this rather defeats the oject of enabling 'Speed' anyway.

I will see if there is a way to make this option more user friendly.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
MW0CDO
New user

Ending a QSO

Post by MW0CDO »

Hi Colin.

Many thanks for your response.

I'll disable Speed Logging and test again.

It's not really a big deal, since I can edit the log entries afterwards as required.

Cheers!

Paul MW0CDO.
MW0CDO
New user

Ending a QSO

Post by MW0CDO »

Hi again Colin.

I can confirm that disabling Speed Logging fixes the problem.

Cheers!

Paul MW0CDO

Paul MW0CDO Port Talbot
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Ending a QSO

Post by G0CUZ »

Hello again Paul
I did attempt to fix this problem, but the 'fix' did cause another even more serious problem for which could find no cure, so for v1.9 I had to re-instate the same behaviour as before.
For v2 I will be upgrading the programming software and hope that the newer type of controls used therein will have a better behaviour.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author