Winlog32 and Google Maps

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Winlog32 and Google Maps

Post by G0CUZ »

Just to update everyone who has been following this project

The work has now been virtually completed and tested - thanks go to the guys who tested and evaluated this feature.

The feature will be available in the next release of Winlog32 and will be available to existing REGISTERED users of Winlog32 who are able and capable of taking the necessary steps to impliment the maps API.

Some work and technical knowhow will be required to get the google maps API working but this should be within the capabilities of any ham who can operate a PC, copy/paste, do simple text file editing and know how to upload files to a web space, if you don't - well maybe now is the time to learn? or find a friend who can help.

Full detailed instructions will be provided with all future releases

I am confident that the effort required WILL BE WELL WORTH IT, it will be of particular interest to DX'ers, DXCC and IOTA award chasers and the VHF guys.

I have been working on this project virtualy daily for the last two months, and I am pleased with the result, however there are no immediate plans to expand the feature any further, as I now wish to move on to other aspects of Winlog32

There is no definate release date at this time but it should be early March, as they say "Watch This Space"

In the meantime I would recommend that you sign up for a google account and if you already have your own web space - register your site ready for for the map API.

This link will tell you all about how to register your site

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/

I am not sure that I will find time to help each and every individual who may struggle or encounter problems (other than with Winlog32 itself), but hope to build up a Forum help topic and FAQ base.
There are several experienced guys who visit the Forum regularily with technical expertise who may be able to help with specific problems...
...a single comment like 'it doesn't work' won't be very useful to those who aim to help, it saves time and trouble if you explain fully and exactly what problem you have and what you have achieved already

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Winlog32 and Google Maps

Post by DL4KG »

Being invited to be a beta tester by Colin I had the opportunity to have a closer look to the "google maps" feature.
It is a great step forward compared to the old maps. Therfore I strongly recommend to register WL32 and to try out these new maps.
The setup is a bit tricky but as Colin said, it should not be a problem for regular PC users.
And as usual everybody will find support here in this forum.

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
www.qslnet.de/dl4kg
www.mydarc.de/dl4kg

Edited by - dl4kg on 25/02/2010 8:33:58 PM
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
AA1E
New user

Winlog32 and Google Maps

Post by AA1E »

Probably should have posted my last message here instead of the general comments section. I previously stated I have the new Winlog32-Google maps installed and am experimenting with them. My OP system is Intel quad 9300 with xp pro windows system. I thought that it might be interesting that I am running Firefox Browser and so far it is very stable. Understanding how to fully utilize the features will take time, but already has proven quite useful.

The instructions worked for me.

Jason R. Sartwell
n5att
New user

Winlog32 and Google Maps

Post by n5att »

One problem I had when implementing the new maps was when I entered the URL of the web based Java script. First I entered it with the http:// incluced. Didn't work.

Loaded without the http:// and it worked.

Scratched a few hairs out of my head while figuring the problem out.

Lawson
GM0ONX
New user

Winlog32 and Google Maps

Post by GM0ONX »

I couldn't get the example google maps to display in my browser (IE8)after uploading the Earth.HTM file to my website. It gave no error message just a blank screen with a tab text saying 'Google Maps Javascript API example' and 'done' at the bottom of the screen.

Google maps however worked perfectly in Winlog32. Must be a Microsoft moment.

Thanks for the new feature Colin.

Len GM0ONX
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Winlog32 and Google Maps

Post by G0CUZ »

I must apologise for the incorrect instructions regarding displaying the maps in a browser, with the javascript as it is - it will NOT be possible to display the map in a broswer for testing as stated
This was caused by some late but necessay changes I made to the j/s file, but at least if the page displays blank in your browser without any error - then most likely the file is working correctly.
So anyone setting up the maps - if everything is done as stated then there is no reason it would not work with Winlog32 even if it does not display in the browser.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
pa0mjm

Winlog32 and Google Maps

Post by pa0mjm »

Colin,

Very nice feature! Works perfect, after battling my provider to get the file uploaded. :-(

Hint: in W7 one can make, via explorer, a networkconnection to youre webspace. Then it's simple copy/paste to a new drive.

Martin, PA0MJM

Edited by - pa0mjm on 19/03/2010 11:09:59 PM
mdljc
New user

Winlog32 and Google Maps

Post by mdljc »

Think I need a bit more instructions on how get this feature setup...Got an API key and now what next..Maybe its a bit too soon.Thanks for any info
Lloyd W3NF ..registered
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Winlog32 and Google Maps

Post by G0CUZ »

Lloyd

Read the 'googlemaps.txt' instruction file in your Winlog32 folder

If it is not there then you need to upgrade to the latest version of Winlog32 available.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
mdljc
New user

Winlog32 and Google Maps

Post by mdljc »

Thanks Colin..seems like all working Ok now..very nice.have to put it through the paces..Hi!!
Thanks Lloyd W3NF