Rig Control and Serial - USB converters

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
kiscomd
Keen user

Post by kiscomd »

Hi,

I changed my USB -serial converter from a Belkin model to a Prolific. I did this because the Belkin could not send FSK RTTY with the MMTTY program. Also, Ham Radio Deluxe would freeze with the Belkin after a minute or two.

These problems were cured by changing to the Prolific converter. BUT ... the rig control in Winlog32 no longer shows the frequency for my ICOM 756 PIII. (That worked fine with the Belkin converter). Now the frequency reads zero. The rig control can switch between VFOs A and B OK, and can change the mode (though not to USB).

Is there a workaround for this issue or am I just stuck with a hardware problem? Using Vista 32.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike
K2CBI
GU6EFB
Keen user

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Mike

Have your tried changing the settings for RTS and DTR
in the tab called other in the rig control window

You are not trying to use Winlog and MMTTY at the same time as this would not work if tring to use the same com-ports
Dose the rig control work in MMTTY?

73 Keith GU6EFB
kiscomd
Keen user

Post by kiscomd »

Hi Keith,

Yes, rig control works in MMTTY and HRD. Changing the DTR and RTS settings didn't do anything. I forgot to mention that I am using a Rigblaster (which used to work fine with WL32 rig control before I changed out the adapters).

Thanks for the input.

Mike
K2CBI
kiscomd
Keen user

Post by kiscomd »

PS - no, not trying to use WL32 and MMTTY at the same time.
kiscomd
Keen user

Post by kiscomd »

Well, I answered my own question. Since the WL32 frequency readout worked with the Belkin serial to USB adapter and not with the Prolific, I added a third serial to USB port for the old Belkin. Used a splitter on the rig CI-V jack and divided the output between two convertors, via different com ports. Not elegant, but it worked and now I have my frequency readout back in WL32. This really was a hardware compatibility issue.

Mike
K2CBI
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

It sounds like you have a solution Mike!

I can't help much, USB/Serial is always problems.

I do in fact use Prolific, it works OK with my Icom using a cheap interface (built into the USB plug) which is widely available.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author