Log Search Question

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
w6rll
New user

Log Search Question

Post by w6rll »

Thre are so many features in this program and I have mastered so few :-)
My question is: I do a prefix search by typing in "G" in the Search Prefix box and then click on CHK DXCC which brings up the nice band/mode DXCC matrix. I see that I have a "G" station on 40M SSB that is worked but not confirmed.
My questions:
1. What is the easiest way to determine the callsign of the "G" station that is worked but not confirmed?
2. Clicking on the YY button brings up a table of years. How and for what do I use this table?
3. What else can I do in the way of searches using the Prefix Search feature?

Thanks and 73 de Joe W6RLL.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Log Search Question

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Joe

#1.
At the moment this can only be done in the DXCC database using the Worked/Not Confirmed toolbar button and then finding the entries as in your example for entity 'England', but this would not give you every station worked from England that is not confirmed so perhaps would be of limited use.
I am hopeing to expand the facilities of the Band Display at a later date which may help with this query.
(this requires a revision to the Log database format, which I will be working on for Version 5).

#2.
The 'YY' (Year) selection is the Year the entered Prefix is valid to, if not selected then the status of the Prefix is displayed as of the current year, to see how this works - enter KH7 and the result will be Hawaii - now select the year 1997 and now it will display 'Kure Is', which was the case for a KH7 prefix pre 1998.

#3.
Not much else from the Prefix Search window, but it may interest you to see what prefixes the database routines compare - to give an example enter "ANT" (Antarctica) into the 'Country Search' mini-window (menu/Search -Country), click 'Search' button now click on the 'Prefixes' button and you will see a list of all Antarctica Prefixes and callsign exceptions entered in the Prefix database - there are a lot! try with European Russia - likewise

A full list of all prefixes and other information entered into the Prefix database are available using the menu/Search-Advanced option using on of the existing Plug-in SQL modules - but that would need another page of explaining hi, there is a description in the help file if you are interested.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
w6rll
New user

Log Search Question

Post by w6rll »

Thank you Colin for your explanation. I tried all examples and they functioned exactly as you mentioned. Some very interesting results were produced. Back to the first question, when the band matrix display appeared I thought that the logical thing to do was "click" on the unconfirmed "G" to find out the callsign in the log. Maybe that is what you have in mind in version 5?
Back to more testing (and maybe more questions?) (:-)
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Log Search Question

Post by G0CUZ »

Yes, Joe - you have it....

I immediately saw the advantage of this action when I first was testing the Band Display, it would be a really useful function, but it will require a fair bit of work associated with revising the log database format - which up to now have avoiding doing. I first started Winlog32 in mid-1990s, and have always strived to keep forward and backward compatibility for the Log.

I have finally admitted that this backward compatibility is holding up progress, so if all goes well will be the major change in the next version, there is a good lot of work to make it possible although a small change to the log database, there is a lot of associated work also I want to make the changes as transparent as possible to the end user.

I am now taking a two month break from development (June/July) but will resume work afterwards and hope to have version 5 ready towards the end of the year, sorry this is going to take so long - this is a hobby interest - I have to fit it in with family, work and other interests and committments.

I am sure that these changes will enable me to make futher improvements to Winlog32 in the future.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author