UA0

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
André
New user

UA0

Post by André »

Hi Colin and Winlog users,

While checking the stats for WAZ, I found that zone 18 and 19 have a problem.
UA0A isn't recognised in the prefix information field, the zones are blanc.
Using v4.4.3.

73 André pe1hwo
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

UA0

Post by DL4KG »

Hi André and all,

this is true for most of the letter behind the 0. Maybe Colin missed the information while setting up the database.

valid for zone 18: UA0 (A, B, H, O, S, U, W)
valid for zone 19: UA0 (C, D, F, I, J, K, L, Q, X, Z)

Also valid for zone 18: UA8 (T, V), UA9 (H, O, U, Y, Z)

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
www.qslnet.de/dl4kg
www.mydarc.de/dl4kg
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
André
New user

UA0

Post by André »

Hi Gerald and all,

Many thanks for your reply. It might be ambiguous, but all qso's made in contests are with the right zone, so I think it is still accurate.
The same goes for RA0 - RZ0.

I found some useful maps at: http://www.mapability.com/ei8ic/maps/russia.gif and
http://www.mapability.com/ei8ic/maps/cq-zone.gif

What do you think Colin?

73 André pe1hwo
G0CUZ
Site Admin

UA0

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Andre et.al.

My principal concern with the Prefix database is that Correct DXCC entities are displayed, I am less concerned about ITU and CQ zones these are blank where they can not be definately determined easily from the Callsign.

I did originally think about adding all the relevant prefixes to give the correct zones, BUT it is a very big undertaking.
Although it would be possible to add for the Russian Callsigns - I am concerned that with licensing of call areas/Callsigns are getting less and less defined by the the authorities, leaves me wondering how long these will be valid

As an example U.S.A, at one time we could determin that W6 was CA, and the relevent zone but this is no longer the case, I have already seen other countries relaxing the regional relevance of Callsigns - I know there are not too many countries where more than one zone and thus the problem exists but it is unfortunate that they are also the countries with the largest prefix ranges.

To give an example for the Russian Prefix

Zone 18
UA0A, UA0B.... Plus RA0A, RA0B, RA0H, RA0O, RA0S, RA0U, RA0W, RC0, RD0 through to RZ0A, RZ0B....., plus the UA8T, UA8V (RA8T, RC8V- through RZ8T, RZ9V plus UA9H, UA9O, UA9U...RA9H, O, U, Y, Z through to RZ9 , O, U, Y, Z - I count this around 350 extra entries in the prefix database just for Russian Zone 18
My guess only a handful of callsigns are QRV from Zone 18 on a regular basis anyway, in my opinion it may be better for the user to add to the prefix database as Callsign exceptions, this can be done manually on your own installation using the 'Allocate Prefix' facility - there is also an 'export' option so that any such Callsign exceptions can be exported to a file that can be submitted to me for inclusion in the master Prefix database.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
André
New user

UA0

Post by André »

Thanks for your reply Colin.

73 André pe1hwo