v1.8 ( build2) time entry problems

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
W4WHW
New user

Post by W4WHW »

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced problems with having Winlog v1.8 not automatically entering the QSO time and date when logging new QSOs? (Yes I did remember to push the clock button on the tool bar. )I recently upgraded from version 1.6 (per the upgrade notes) and have noticed that since the upgrade this feature seems to have become intermittent. I haven't yet determined any common reasons (ie: settings, times, other programs running, etc.) which might attribute as to when it works and when it doesn't. I do run Winlog under Windows 2000, but have experienced no problems up until just recently. Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed. 73 Bill
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Bill
Not sure what the problem is, but suspect it may be something to do with the system date or time format.
Check if the correct date and time are present on the toolbar in Winlog32.
It may be better if you contact me direct and let me have all your system date and time settings, I don't have a Win2000 system setup but I will try to set up a machine with your regional settings to try and solve the problem. The fullest details always help.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
W4WHW
New user

Post by W4WHW »

Hello Colin, I think I have the problem narrowed down for you. The problem only occurs when I cut and paste the callsign from another program into the callsign box in Winlog32. (BTW: Winlog32 does indicate the correct time and date on the toolbar, so it can be manually entered.)

The problem description is as follows: When I select Auto Time/Date and enter the callsign manually via the keyboard, the program enters the time and date automatically upon the keystroke of the second character of the callsign. However, if I grab a callsign from another program (say Internet Explorer with qrz.com up) with a ctl-c (cut) and then place my cursor in the callsign box in Winlog32, select it with a single left click, and then hit ctl-v (paste); it won't automatically add the time even though Auto Time/Date is selected. At this point, I can still go back and manually enter the time and date. Thus it appears that the program isn't triggering the automatic time/date entry for a callsign entry with only one keystroke.

I know this wasn't a problem in revision 1.5 or 1.6 as I have done it quite frequently in the past with no troubles noted. It appears to be a problem only in revision 1.8 (haven't tested v1.7.) I hope with this 'more complete' description you will be able to replicate the problem on your end. I would suspect that it is probably not an operating system dependant problem.

Thanks for helping....

Cheers & 73 - Bill W4WHW
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for all the info Bill, it would seem that the problem stems from cut 'n paste and then using the TAB key, which does not fire the auto-date-time function.
It does work OK using the ENTER key after pasting though, this problem only exists in cut 'n paste operations into the Callsign input box which normally adds Date and Time to the log when entering a Callsign conventionaly using keystrokes.
The problem with the TAB key is not easily fixed as it would seem the key can not be intercepted before it triggers a Windows API navigate function.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
W4WHW
New user

Post by W4WHW »

[quote]
It does work OK using the ENTER key after pasting though, this problem only exists in cut 'n paste operations into the Callsign input box which normally adds Date and Time to the log when entering a Callsign conventionaly using keystrokes.
[quote]

Hello Colin,

Thanks for the help and suggestion in resolving my 'operational issue' with Winlog. Now that I have trained my fingers to hit the enter key after pasting an entry into the callsign box, Winlog is working perfectly in auto updating the time and date entries. Like the old saying goes 'it's sometimes hard to teach an old dog new tricks' :) Many thanks again for all your help, support, and for providing amateurs with such a fine logger.

Cheers & 73 - Bill W4WHW