k5k

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
onl5923
New user

k5k

Post by onl5923 »

Hi Colin and everyone,

Last week I received a qsl from K5K (Kingman Reef). When I Logged this station the DXCC it pointed out was USA. Even when I put it like this KH5K/K5K it still indicated USA as DXCC, which it is not. Any comments or suggestions???

73, de Peter, onl5923
G0CUZ
Site Admin

k5k

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Peter
I know about K5K, although was not lucky (or loud) enough to work them.
Because of how the prefix look-up in Winlog32 works.

With the present format it is impossibnle to distinguish between K5K and K5Kx hense it will either show U.S.A. or Kingman depending on what is assigned in the prefix database.

There is a dodge however for K5K and the other similar one of a few years back (which I can't remember - I didn't work 'em either), in that you can preceed the K5K entry in the Callsign box with a 'Space' chr. this will then show correctly Kingman Reef for this call, this was an interim measure I adopted until I can think of another solution in the prefix database.
Incidentally the prefix lookup in WL32 is quite complex if you include the parsing/stripping operations and there are up to five look-ups for each callsign entered.

I am quite proud of the look-up routines, and it works 99.9% of the time correctly, but there are always a few that will create confussion, I am not sure how well other logging programs deal with these, but I am always eager to improve the prefix database and I am considering changing the format so that I can correct the last few remaining problems like the one you mentioned and another is the KG4xx and KG4xxx problem with KG4xxx giving incorrectly Guantanimo Bay and not U.S.A.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
onl5923
New user

k5k

Post by onl5923 »

Hi Colin,

Do you mean I have to enter the callsign like this: K 5K ? or KH5 K/K5K?

73, de Peter, onl5923
G0CUZ
Site Admin

k5k

Post by G0CUZ »

No Peter
Like " K5K" (e.g. space before callsign) and not "K5K", of course no Parentheses required in actual input. 73 Colin G0CUZ
onl5923
New user

k5k

Post by onl5923 »

Hi Colin and everyone,

It worked perfectly, Colin, I am learning more every day

I've got an all time new one confirmed in my log now.

73, de Peter, onl5923