Logging remote via LAN

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Logging remote via LAN

Post by G0CUZ »

Something I am experimenting with at the moment.....
If anyone is using more than one PC in the shack or PCs on a LAN, and would like to take part in the evaluation and testing, please contact me direct for details.

73 Colin, G0CUZ
ZL3LF
Site Admin

Re: Logging remote via LAN

Post by ZL3LF »

Hi Colin,

What type of remote are we talking about? A web UI or another windows application?

I use a small laptop for winlog32 and digimode stuff, and control it using VNC server from my main machine which is a Linux PC. So I could test a web interface if that's what you're thinking about?

ZL3LF
Chris H.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Chris
Proposed is a simple UDP ADIF QSO packet exchange Winlog32<>Winlog32 over a local network in either or both directions, I have been testing here for a few days in real time, and seems to do the job.
The only problem I have encountered is using a broadcast address from my 'wifi' laptop, it just won't let outgoing traffic on 255.255.255.255 address, and I have not figured why, it works fine on the wired network.

As you can see I have had little response on this do far, so not going to spend loads of time on it.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
ZL3LF
Site Admin

Post by ZL3LF »

Hi Colin,
Try the broadcast address for your subnet maybe?
So if you're Wifi is 192.168.1.0/24 the broadcast is 192.168.1.254.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Chris

I tried using 192.168.0.255 for the outgoing address on the wifi laptop, although this works there is some very noticeable hanging around, maybe some other stuff of the wifi network, so not usable.
Addressing the remote computer with it's own address works two-way fine though, I have been using it across two computers for testing and it's aOK. It's not going to be 100% reliable being UDP so I don't think it is suitable for multi-user operations.

I'll just leave it in for evaluation if anybody can make use of it for now, I am moving on with next project, as not much feedback on the remote logging here.

Thanks for your input.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
ZL3LF
Site Admin

Post by ZL3LF »

If you do continue with it a reliable way to get arbitrary traffic reliably is to use a broadcast for discovery and then unicast for the actual traffic...

ie:

* server listens on port x for broadcasts announcing client.
* client listens on port y for confirmation.
* Client broadcasts to port x
* server responds using Unicast UDP to the client IP
* Client then knows the IP of the server and can use TCP unicast to port z

I've done this for a client/server app in Python a couple of times and for a quiet network and single client it works fine.

To allow multiple clients I added a random ID to the initial broadcast. The reply from the server replies with that ID + a random 'session key'. Then the unicast connection to the server is only accepted with the ID+key pair.

- Chris H.
Arnaldo
New user

Post by Arnaldo »

How to disable this function, when I run the soft it opens this screen for me, unwanted.
Thanks
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Arnaldo

menu/Options/Logging Interface/"UDP N1MM, ADIF, JT-Alert" - disable this option.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
Arnaldo
New user

Post by Arnaldo »

Hello Colin,
Thanks for help, now ok.
73, Arnaldo - PY4BL