Trojan false positive?

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
g8hgn1442
Keen user

Trojan false positive?

Post by g8hgn1442 »

I downloaded V7.3.38 on Wednesday, all went OK. But this morning started the PC I got a Trojan warning from Windows Defender that there was a trojan in the program. See attached screengrab.
I suspect this is a false positive. Why it didn't flag up yesterday, I don't know.
Thanks, Bob G8HGN
Trojan detected in WinLog32.png
Trojan detected in WinLog32.png (26.57 KiB) Viewed 6803 times
LA4CAA
New user

Re: Trojan false positive?

Post by LA4CAA »

I have this problem too. I have to use version 7.3.37 which seems to be accepted by Windows Defender. I am on Windows 10, all updates etc onboard and installed.

73 de LA4CAA
g8hgn1442
Keen user

Post by g8hgn1442 »

Hi,
I've downloaded Malwarebytes to check the original file and it passed OK. So a false positive I expect.

I 'd also done some updates to W10 Pro, maybe the Defender files are not up to date yet?

73 Bob G8HGN
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Guys

Sorry about this......

This occurred very recently with a Defender definition update.

I am SURE this is a false positive, however this problem has caught me midstream of installing a new SSD in my main computer and I have a health issue too, it is a major task to get all software installed and working again.

Development of Winlog32 takes place on another dedicated PC which is unaffected by the above.

With all this going on, I have been trying to sort the malware problem out with MS Defender team and to get updated definitions, this is proving as NOT an easy task.

Meanwhile I have suspended any download of present installer as Defender is blocking it anyway.

73 Colin, G0CUZ
g8hgn1442
Keen user

Post by g8hgn1442 »

Hi Colin,
Thanks for the update. I'm sure you'll sort it all out in the fullness of time. I'll monitor this forum for any further updates.
Your health is No:1 priority.
Bob G8HGN
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for everyone's patience

After submitting a couple of times the main executable to Microsoft, finally Defender seems to have fixed their false detection on the main executable, anyone having this problem should make sure their Defender Definitions (right-click the shield icon) are up--to-date, this should be done automatically daily on W10, if you have Defender definitions 14 Jun 2020 onwards, you should not have a problem with Defender quarantining the file.

I know virus is all around us at the moment!! A/V programs can be quite aggressive and throw-up these false positives, much to our annoyance when wrongly detected, but we have to put up with it. It has caused me much anxiety, not because I had any doubt about the file myself, but guys having this concern when downloading, installing and running my software.

You will still get the downloads blocked by the 'Not commonly Downloaded' warnings, but there are always options to 'Allow' things to go ahead, I'll have to leave that to your own judgment, Winlog32 has been around 20+ years, I still actively use it myself'.

73 Colin
G0CUZ

Anyone concerned about ANY suspect files can use a website called 'VirusTotal' where you can submit files for an all-in-one scan against definitions from around thirty different anti-virus and anti-malware software, when I used this utility, 'wl32.exe' came out clean of course.
LA4CAA
New user

Post by LA4CAA »

I just downloaded version 7.3.38 and at least Windows Defender allowed me to bypass the initial recommendation of not run/install the file this time.
So it's up and running, let's hope MS don't bite anymore ;)
And take care Colin, your health is by far the most important thing!

Thanks for your excellent job with this program!

73 de Knut, LA4CAA
g8hgn1442
Keen user

Post by g8hgn1442 »

All fine now Colin, thank you. Sorry you had to endure that episode through no fault of your own.

Stay safe, 73 Bob G8HGN