Linking ICOM-9700 with computer

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
alex wickham
New user

Linking ICOM-9700 with computer

Post by alex wickham »

Many happy years with Winlog32 except linking rigs with computers. Now have a new call and want to start again. Can one link na IC-7610 using a USB port on the rig rather than the CI-V jack?
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: Linking ICOM-9700 with computer

Post by G0CUZ »

I don't think that is possible, sorry.

Virtual com port and an appropriate USB control cable is the way to go using CI-V, about £7.
Should also come with associated driver.
alex wickham
New user

Post by alex wickham »

Thank you for the reply. The ICOM IC-7610 with v1.2 firmware does provide a virtual com port through the USB 1 port on the transceiver provided you download the appropriate USB driver from the ICOM Japan website but I just cannot establish a link. If I go back to the out of date CI-V box with an RS232-to-USB cable which one will work? Should it be Prolific or FTDI chip based to link the box to a modern computer? Alex
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

You don't need the CI-V box at all - it's an expensive waste, just get a cable which has the built-in FTDI or Prolific chip, when you get the cable - the supplier should provide you with the appropriate driver or link to the driver - they';re readily available, always follow the driver installation instructions, as it's a bit tricky, but it is what everybody uses.