630m - 472 Khz

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
joevb
Keen user

630m - 472 Khz

Post by joevb »

Hi,

I have successfully imported over 24.000 QSOs into Winlog32 in 1 database with 6 different logs covering each band from 630m right up to 24 Ghz , run the log check robot on each log, and everything is fine with one exception. All bands are populated with QSOs except 60m as we are still awaiting permission to use it here in 9H.

I cannot seem to get Winlog32 to recognise 0.472 (630 meters) as a band. I have added this to the custom list, in the format 0.472 in Mhz, as with other bands, and entered QSOs in the same format, but no data becomes available, and 630m is not shown in the >Graph>LOG DXCC Band display for example. In >Graph>Band Map window 0.472 appears as a band along with all others, but no data appears for this band. All other bands show data correctly per band/mode.

I may be doing something wrong of course which is probably the case :)

73, Joe 9H1CG - GW4GT!
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: 630m - 472 Khz

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Joe

I'll look into this, I did limited integration with 630m band as it is still a bit temporary and restricted, and I'm pretty sure QSO do not count for DXCC on this band (as yet), but shouldn't be a major problem to add it to most features for 'interest' sake.
73 Colin
G0CUZ
joevb
Keen user

Post by joevb »

Thanks Colin, I appreciate that.

73, Joe
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Joe et. al.

I am working with the VLF bands right now, I am improving the compatibility with both the 630M and 2190M bands including the ability to add to the DXCC database & reporting (for interest sake only).

I also see in he new ADIF3 spec that a 560M band been added e.g. 501 kHz to 504 kHz and enumerated as the 560M band.
As this allocation is so near to the 630M band of 475 kHz to 499 kHz, it doesn't sound logical to me to have this as a enumerated as a separate band (a separation Band<>Band of only 2 kHz - seems a bit crazy!? I can see that these bands will be excluded from any future 'DX' (thus DXCC) interest anyway, so not sure if what I am doing is wasted effort.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
joevb
Keen user

Post by joevb »

Hi Colin,

So sorry, but I have just seen this last post from you. Yes,I am aware of this problem. Initially, a few years back, we too were allocated a small segment at 500 khz,but then it seemed that the 472 Khz allocation was to become standard throughout Europe at least.

You are right to point out the DXCC issue. Getting the log to "recognise" 630m, will be just for the sake of recording QSO data, so if this is going to be too much trouble to include, a separate log can always be kept. After all, very few QSOs are made on this band, though I expect popularity will increase as time goes by and good results are obtained.

Thank you for your effort.

Joe 9H1CG - G4GTI
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Joe

All the work on VLF has been completed now, it was a fair amount of work in the end - mainly of my own making because of the way different function treat numeric data, but nevertheless it's looking good to go.

It's worth doing I guess, the 5MHz/60m band proved any new band will get a lot of attention once a fair few countries have the allocation.

The changes will be in the next version release which will be in a couple of weeks or sooner if final testing goes well.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
joevb
Keen user

Post by joevb »

Hi Colin,

Thank you for the new Winlog32 release. It is downloaded and installed. How does one address 630m regarding frequency entry in Mhz ? I did add 0.472 as a band in "settings" when first entering QSOs for 630m but still, I do not see any DXCC data when querying the database in this new release. Should i perhaps run the log check robot?

Thanks and 73

Joe
joevb
Keen user

Post by joevb »

HI Colin,

The problem has been resolved. I went to the "settings" page, deleted 0.472 as a band and chose .475 from the drop down menu. Next I went through the log and tried to edit each QSO by changing the band to .475 but this kept producing an "Enter only 'numeric' frequency band" error in a popup window.

Today I realised that in spite of the fact that the band appears as .475 in the drop down menu it must be entered as 0.475 when editing existing QSOs. With hindsight, I should have understood that message in the popup window in the first place. This resolved the problem and now data for 630m is available in the database.

If I may respectfully suggest, showing 0.475 and 0.136 in the drop down menu would be more intuitive, if this is at all possible from the programming point of view.

Thank you for the effort and work involved to include data for the MF and LF bands in the database.

Regards,

Joe 9H1CG - G4GTI
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for the feedback Joe

Yes, that could be a problem I had not seen, if the decimal is entered first - then the error pop (as a decimal on its own is not a number) - but I'll see to that fix easy enough.

I think I'll also do as you suggest with the default drop-down list of bands and add the leading zero - it should work either way though, so not sure what the preference is, it would also be possible to add it manually to the band list if you wish.

The exact frequency can be entered into the Log like for any other band, so it should be possible to have .472 in the log, it will be added to the DXCC and other database as ".475" (or 0.475 as numeric display) for everything to work correctly, and also the freq. band selector should also show .475/0.475 otherwise this makes complications for the DXCC functions and reporting methods.

When Winlog32 was originally planned out, I never envisaged such bands being introduced so didn't see this problem arising! Hindsight and all that, hi.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
joevb
Keen user

Post by joevb »

Thanks for the explanation Colin.

Speaking for myself, I would prefer to have the leading zero appear in the drop down list, as this would make it's requirement self explanatory, but as you explained, it would be ok whichever way you implement it.

Thank you again for all the work you did to include the data for the MF and LF bsnds.

73, Joe
9H1CG - G4GTI