Kc's do not transfer.

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
Bob G
New user

Kc's do not transfer.

Post by Bob G »

I am a new user of winlog32. I have most of it up and running.
After spending many days trying I cannot get Kc's to transfer to data input.
They don't appear in the selected rig even (RCP).
This suggests that the rig is not being accessed.
The rig is an FDM DUO but named as per the manufacture's instructions as TS 480.
The rig works O.k. with Ham Radio DeLuxe. Same principle?
I use VSPE as a port splitter. I have tried many port speeds with no success.
Computer running Win ten. I am on the verge of giving up , which I don't want to do because the Prog does lots of things
Which I need. So, full of shame at my incompetence I ask for some guidance from the collective voice of knowledge.
PLEASE what am I missing or doing wrong... Regards Bob G4WHX
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: Kc's do not transfer.

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Bob

I am not sure of the problem, but first thing is to confirm that you DO have a connection from Winlog32 Rig Control Window to the rig.

Once the port is set-up, a simple way to establish this is to 'send' a frequency to the rig (e.g. from one of the frequency memory tabs in the Winlog32 RCSW, if there is no response on the RIG - there is NO connection.

I don't like the sound of a 'port splitter', and suggest that you try a direct com connection, a direct USB connection is not possible so some sort of Virtual Driver is required when using a USB port on your computer, this is usually supplied with the cable and should be installed for connecting the hardware as per their instructions.

Failing the above -the sort of problems I would normally expect are:
Wrong (virtual) com port being used ("Connected to Com xx" does not specifically tell that the connection is good)
Wrong baud rate selected - this MUST match, 'automatic' settings are not good.
DTR/RTS settings - this matters on some cables as power for the interface is derived from the computer com port.

If the rig is responding to a frequency command from Winlog32, this establishes that the com connection is good and nothing more needs to be done to the connection, however I presume from your comments that this is NOT the case.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
Bob G
New user

Post by Bob G »

Colin many thanks for your reply. You have confirmed my thoughts that the rig is not being accessed. Thanks.
I will try your suggestion to use a different virtual driver and cable. May I ask you give me the name of a known working
model. I have looked on the Maplin site with no success. Still trying. Regards Bob G
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Bob

This is the sort of cable I am talking about - I have no direct experience of this cable, but don't see any reason for it not to work, but will have to let you make up your own mind unless anyone has experience of Kenwood cables (sorry don't have)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-COM-Cat-c ... xyDlNTlazj
SV1GRB
Keen user

Post by SV1GRB »

Hi Bob and Colin,

Once upon a time I bought something like this (same chipset) from g0oyq-steve's ebay shop.

My desktop has a "real" COM port so I am using a well shielded DB9-DB9 cable and I have this as a backup. I am not using the USB to serial everyday but it worked fine with my TS-480.

Haris
SV1GRB
Bob G
New user

Post by Bob G »

Good morning Colin and Haris. Thanks to both for assistance. However in my first request for help I said the rig is
a FDM DUO and only PRETENDS to be a TS 480. In terms of the software protocols. As I mentioned I have used a vspe
(virtual serial port editor) to connect to Ham Radio DeLuxe with no problems. I was hoping to try an alternative
software package to connect to Winlog32. The cables are not compatible.

Thanks again Bob. G4WHX