Moment of truth

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
ZL2BMH
Keen user

Moment of truth

Post by ZL2BMH »

Hello All.

Well the time has come when I have to rely on my backup. Due to a computer failure, everything had to be reinstalled.

Just so I doN't foul up my only source of records since early 2000's I want to make sure how to go about it.

It's on a flash-drive, now if someone could tell me in chronological order what to do I can help another poor soul one day.

I will be very grateful for any advice on this.

Regards, Jim ZL2BMH.
SV1GRB
Keen user

Re: Moment of truth

Post by SV1GRB »

I think that someone must know what type of files you have in your backup device to be able to help you with the steps you should follow.

winlog LOG files? ADIF files? something else? which type?

Haris
SV1GRB
ZL2BMH
Keen user

Post by ZL2BMH »

Hello Haris.

I'm sure we have met on the airwaves before, if so 'hello' if not I'll be looking for you. If my logs were available I'd know immediately ;)

Actually my log taking goes back to 1980. I didn't do anything special with my flash drive, I just put it into the USB port and when Winlog32 asked me to backup, I did, on checking the F/D it's all in computer talk, so there is something there, lets hope it what's supposed to be there :D

Here's hoping.
Jim ZL2BMH
SV1GRB
Keen user

Post by SV1GRB »

Hi Jim,

I suppose that you have a .LOG file and a .INI file from winlog backup procedure.

I think that you should make a fresh install and then use the menu
File -> Maintenance -> File Maintenance
Then you should use the Get Log Database and Get User Settings File buttons (these files are backuped everytime we use the backup button).

I have not done this before but I believe that this is the way.
We should wait a little to find someone to confirm that is the correct way to do this hi.

Haris
SV1GRB
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Post by DL4KG »

Hi,

I did it several times setting up a new installation. I just copied the log file in the log folder and the ini file into the WL32 main folder. After starting WL32 all worked fine. Of course you have to run the log robot to get all other databases back.

73 de Gerald - DL4KG
73 de Gerald - DL4KG