LoTW download report script.

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
Alan Doherty
Keen user

LoTW download report script.

Post by Alan Doherty »

Can anyone advise the correct script for downloading the LoTW report file.

https://lotw.arrl.org/lotwuser/qsos?qsoscmd=adif

This is the current one in WL32 but it delivers a file empty report.

Regards
Alan, GI0OTC
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: LoTW download report script.

Post by G0CUZ »

hi Alan

This is the correct URL in LoTW Manager options 'Download report file"

"https://lotw.arrl.org/lotwuser/lotwrepo ... sword=zzzz"

It should not be modified in any way.

The rest of the URL is formatted on the fly depending on other factors.

The downloaded report file contains only the verified QSOs (not the uploaded log).

If the download file is blank, click on TAB 'Request report from LoTW server', option - Download QSL After date' (DD/MM/YYYY), and disable this option, then ALL verifications will be downloaded.

With this option enabled - only the latest verified QSO are downloaded (since you last downloaded the report).

Hope that is a little clearer

73 Colin
G0CUZ
Alan Doherty
Keen user

Post by Alan Doherty »

Hi Colin,

I understand the operation of LoTW manually.

But using WL it returns file empty everytime, and makes a lotwreport_GI0OTC.adi file which is empty.
When go and get the lotw report manually there are always entries in it.

Head scratching time again.
Sorry for being a constant pain.
Might be my ancient Win XP OS !!

Alan, GI0OTC
ZL3LF
Site Admin

Post by ZL3LF »

Have you tried leaving the date range there, but setting a date well in the past? 1/1/2000 or something?

I had a problem a while ago with LoTW download to WL32 and found that sticking in a wide date range gave the LoTW servers the fright required to start working again. ;-)

73, Chris
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Alan

At a bit of a loss, with this one.

Did you tried disabling the option 'Download after date' mentioned in previous post or trying a date change like Chris said - or even deleting the date altogether? My gut feeling is telling me this must be the problem area.

Is it signing and uploading the ADIFs OK?

You have a Station Location set in Winlog32 with call 'GI0OTC', this must be the same as the LoTW log callsign (long shot here!), 0 zero = "O" - well I'm clutching at straws, but really can't think of anything else, XP is a deprecated operating system - as I said in a previous post, the port buffer may not be able to cope in XP, I only have XP on a virtual machine these days so no way of checking accurately the port behaviour on that system.

(edit - oops sorry, you may have this enabled?)
Menu/file/Maintenance/File Maintenance - debug = enable, not sure if this will throw any light on it, debug works only in real-time, so it errors are only flagged after this option is enabled.

Give us some more clues....

73 Colin
G0CUZ
Alan Doherty
Keen user

Post by Alan Doherty »

Hi Chris, Colin,

Yep tried all those ideas, still returning empty file or error. I have that debug file running since for a few days, just the same eQSL error, no new ones.

Yes QSL signing and uploading is working auto-magicially in WL
If I have to get the lotwreport manually, it's no biggie really. As you say Colin the OS is out of date (bit like the user really) :lol:

Thanks for all the effort Colin, but don't go wasting anymore time on it, especially if it works for everyone else..

Cheers guys.
Alan, GI0OTC
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

OK Alan

Well I got WL running under XP on the virtual machine, yep I get the same 'empty file' error!

In a way this is good news as I can investigate what may be causing it.

One thought I had previous to this is - do you have Internet Explorer installed on XP?
This is important as Winlog32 uses some aspects of the API which require libraries from IE, all subsequent MS operating systems install these libraries with the basic windows install, but not XP IIRC.
On the other hand if it uploads alright...hmmm...I'll have to look through the code later and see what functions uses those libraries.

I don't mind investigating these niggles, I (always?) find it a challenge - it keeps my mind active! which is what us OT'ers need.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
Alan Doherty
Keen user

Post by Alan Doherty »

Colin,

I had IE on another PC so I installed WL on there. Still exactly the same problem with both eQSL and LoTW.
If the solution falls into your lap great, but as I said before don't go wasting your time any longer.
Trust me to be an awkard sod that still likes Win XP :)

Cheers
Alan
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Alan

Well after a couple of hours research, testing and a bottle of cider later, I am still non the wiser.

After investigation, I can see that the function is opening the port and connecting OK, but server-side it will not send data or maybe it attempts to but the control errors out and disconnects without any explanation - making it difficult to debug.

It will be interesting if anyone comes along and says they have it working in XP, but I have had no reports coming back on this either way at all (apart from yours).

XP was good in it's day, but modern systems like W7/W8 are very stable and self repairing, I had my head in the sand a long time with XP, but had to make the change eventually but definitely glad I did.

I'll have another play around with it, but not now - too much cider - I really hate anything defeating me like this...

73 Colin
G0CUZ
Alan Doherty
Keen user

Post by Alan Doherty »

Colin,

Haha, nice..

I'm only holding out with XP as it's all my ageing PC's can handle atm..
Maybe Santa will be kind this year.

Alan