Import user field and compatibility DXCC

Discuss with others what you would like to see in later versions of Winlog32.
Jean-Louis
New user

Post by Jean-Louis »

Hello Colin and all.

With CTL I use the ADD DXCC function in the USER field.
I use also sometimes IMPORT LOG ADIF, further to a contest with a dedicated software, or an activity in portable.
Then I add the DXCC in the USER field with the ROBOT.

The box IMPORT a log allows to add a comment, or the name and QTH, but in the USER field only.
What is incompatible with the fact of putting it the DXCC.
I shall have liked the IMPORT function give choice, to can putt this comment in REMARKS field, to have no "CQ WPX contest" or "SP DX CONTEST" or "me /P at XXX", in the USER field.
What also occurs if the contest software was also configured to export the LOG ADIF with the name of the contest.

If it is possible and of interest for other users !
73, Jean-Louis F1SIU
N5PHT
New user

Post by N5PHT »

Yes, that would be a handy option in my view also.
Vlasta
New user

Post by Vlasta »

Hi all,
I should also like that possibility.
73 Vlasta OK1FIM
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Already exists the possibility to add a comment to the User field, as I understand your question to add the country added to that field?

Personally I have never been in favour of, or see the need for the country name added to the Log, I have yet to be convinced by anybody! (although I have conceded using the Robot for this)

The country name is generated and displayed dynamically when the log is in use, the problem with country names is that there is no exact rationalisation of their names, shall it be United States or USA or U.S.A. (example).
The user field is used as a choice for the end user to add whatever they like of course, however the remarks field has defined usage.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
Jean-Louis
New user

Post by Jean-Louis »

Hello Colin, N5PHT and Vlasta.

Sorry Colin for my bad English to explain.
Yes, country can be already added by the ROBOT and I use it. And I like this...

My question is simply to have the possibility of choosing the field REMARKS on the place of the field USER in the window of import of a log, to "Add Comment to 'REMARKS' field" in check Import Options, and not only USER field.

The rest was a simple explanation why I ask for this possibility.
I know that the field REMARKS is used for other functions, as a link. But every user uses WINLOG32 following his needs. It is common that certain functions is preferred, and others were diverted from the normal use planned by the programmer. HI!

Otherwise, I shall continue to add manually the reason texte of import in the field that I prefer.
It is just longer to make after the import, HI !
73, Jean-Louis F1SIU
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Jean-Louis et.al.

Thanks for the further explanation.

With the Remarks field - if your import file contains info like IOTA etc, this is automatically added to the Remarks field otherwise these entries will be lost, as Winlog32 does not have pre-defined fields for all possible awards, thus using a 'flag' system in the Remarks field.
For this reason I have to be careful of what can be automatically added to remarks, otherwise some info may be truncated due to the 64 character field length restriction.

I can add a fixed entry like you suggest and similar to that presently offered by User field during import, I am still unsure of what particular function the suggestion will achieve - something that isn't already available?

I accept that everyone will expect things arranged the way they want, and I am always trying to accommodate their wishes where I can, however I have always been of the philosophy of 'if it isn't broke, don't try to mend it'.

I will certainly consider the suggestion when I am sure where I am going with this.

73 Colin
G0CUZ