Different Colours for bands in cluster window

Discuss with others what you would like to see in later versions of Winlog32.
GU6EFB
Keen user

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

Would it be possible for you to look at using different colours per band in the cluster window?

I would find it useful as today I have been chasing DX on 6, 4, and two meters so different colours would have made life a lot easier to spot what was happerning on differant bands.

73 Keith GU6EFB
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

hi Keith

I have been thinking on this too, at least something along these lines - in making the background colour of individual rows change maybe to white or a lighter shade of existing colour, so as to not be too distracting, e.g. changes for a specific band and for tracking specific callsigns, tnis could be done from the right-click drop down list, but I don't want to make the display too confusing with too many colour alerts.

Not sure how this will work out in practice, but will be experimenting in due course, in anycase I don't think it would be available until new version 5 which will have a significant change which will require substantial work throughout the software and this is priority.
V5 will not be availabe until much later in the year - well after the summer ES season is over, sorry.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
GU6EFB
Keen user

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

No rush enjoy the ES season

73 Keith GU6EFB
OZ2HT
New user

Post by OZ2HT »

Hi Colin

If you do so ... PLEASE,PLEASE, make it as a option and not permanent !!
We are some who like the clean look (classic) and don't like the "color palette" !
BTW... I really don't se any help in that kind off "color confusing" :-)

Vy 73 de jorn
OZ2HT
New user

Post by OZ2HT »

Hi Keith

""I would find it useful as today I have been chasing DX on 6, 4, and two meters ""

Just set the "HF" spot on off, and only "VHF" on ... or set Alarm on only the VHF you like !

Vy 73 de jorn
GU6EFB
Keen user

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi jorn

I don't disagree with you but I sometimes use AR user here and have setup different band spots to come up in different colours

i.e. red 2m
Blue 6m
Green 4m
and so on so like last Friday when their was a nice Es opening at different times different bands open/closed it would have in my view nice to have different colours so at a glance you would have seen which band had the most activity as conditions changed.

If Colin could make it selectable I am sure it would please most people

73 Keith GU6EFB
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for the comments, all very helpful and food for though. I can assure Jorn that any changes here will be 'options'!

There is so much information coming down from the DXcluster - we have to make use of it...

Whilst thinking about the Cluster display, some more thought

It would not be too much trouble to have an option so that any unselected band alerts would not be added to the cluster display, this would react with DXCLuster 'Options' Alarm/Band and the bands unchecked, maybe the option would be better placed in TAB 'Show' - where the Show HF/VHF options is though.

Another idea I had a while ago was to interreact with the 'spotter's' QTH (Continent) - e.g. to give an example, on 6m - alert/highlight EU<>DX QSO, on HF we could highlight even to specific continents e.g. EU<>OC, by 'EU' in examples substitute EU with your own Continents of course.
I shure would have found this useful during the recent Carribean openings on 6m.

No problem making it complex as long as we know (and can remember) what everything means and all is optional, I agree with Jorn, on avoiding a 'firework' display and that the easy-on-the-eyes style is something I particularily set out to achieve from the very early days - haveing looked at some DOS Log programs at that time!

To add such things is a little programming time, no matter, but more important is the processing overheads on any extra checking during spot arrival and there is no getting away from it, I will always like take time to consider those who have less powerful machines in the shack.

Any comments on the subject of the Cluster display appreciated at this time in this thread here from any users.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
GU6EFB
Keen user

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

Have you seen / tried VE7CC user program?
from http://www.bcdxc.org/ve7cc/ve7cc.zip

I am not asking for it to be reproduced in Winlog32 but it may give you some food for thought on how it may be possible to show spots per band etc

73 Keith GU6EFB
mm0amw
Keen user

Post by mm0amw »

Is there any possibility of having a choice of individual VHF bands to show up in the cluster window. I would like to see 6m spots only as I'm not interested in 4m ,2m etc. Failing that, the colour coding idea might be interesting.

73 David
MM0AMW
GU6EFB
Keen user

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi David

Have you thought about setting up the filtering on the DX cluster that you connect to to show only 6m Spots.

Most clusters have very good filtering available ask your cluster sysop for help or drop me a line and i will try and help

73 Keith GU6EFB sysop GB7DXG-1 Dxspider