WAB Maps

Discuss with others what you would like to see in later versions of Winlog32.
rhw2
New user

WAB Maps

Post by rhw2 »

Hi Colin.

Any chance of producing WAB County maps similar to the ones you do for "VHF Locators" at the moment?

Basically, what I'd like to see is where a scrolling list on the left listed all unique counties found in the WAB database, and when one clicked on them, it drew a map showing the relative positions of the squares listed for that county.

Best wishes from Riley.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

WAB Maps

Post by G0CUZ »

OK Riley, I'll look into this when I can find some time, I think that producing the 'grid' based on the WAB squares will be easy enough but no so sure about the Counties, we'll see ......

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
rhw2
New user

WAB Maps

Post by rhw2 »

Hi Colin.

First, can I report what appears to be a layout bug in v1.9 - on the current WAB "EDIT" screen, the listbox of WAB Large Square letters (on my screen at least) is too narrow, and I can only see the first letter of each entry. Could you double the width allowed for the letters box herein please? If it matters, my screen is set to 1024x768 pixels and is 19" across the diagonal.

Now, back to the subject of this thread...

Actually, I was thinking of something similar to the listing produced when one "edits" the VHF Locator database - although what one does is hardly editing and would probably be better described by changing "EDIT" to "VIEW" in that sub-menu. Likewise, this proposed screen would be best implemented by a "View" entry on the menu, leaving the current "EDIT" entry as it is, although it would help if both could be on the screen at the same time.

In the WAB case, the listbox on the left would list the counties found in the WAB database, and when one selected a county from that list, the right hand side would produce a map of the squares listed for that county.

One obvious problem is that many counties straddle more than one of the WAB Large Squares (the letter codes at the start of the square names), so it isn't simply a case of ignoring the letters as one has to account for them as well.

One obvious benefit is that the maps will tend to point out entries in the database that are incorrect, for one of the following reasons:

1. If more than one spelling is used for a particular county, then there will be more than one spelling for that county in the list.

2. If a particular WAB square is associated with the wrong county, it will tend to show up on the map as being well separated from those that are part of that county.

Another option would be to use TWO listboxes on the left. The left hand list would be used to select the county of interest, and the right hand list would then select the WAB Large Square within that county to be mapped. You could then use a fixed 10x10 grid for the actual map itself.

Also, if you wish to do a map of the actual counties, then I may be able to help you. I produced a map of the pre-1974 counties of England, Scotland and Wales, and it's still available on the Internet. Have a look at http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Britain.html and see if it's of any use to you. I will state in advance that if it is of use, then all I ask in payment is a picture postcard of your locality, as per the licence conditions stated on that site.

Best wishes from Riley G7GOD / KB8PPG

G7GOD / KB8PPG

Edited by - rhw2 on 23/02/2003 09:47:17 AM
rhw2
New user

WAB Maps

Post by rhw2 »

Hi Colin.

quote:In the WAB case, the listbox on the left would list the counties found in the WAB database, and when one selected a county from that list, the right hand side would produce a map of the squares listed for that county.

One obvious problem is that many counties straddle more than one of the WAB Large Squares (the letter codes at the start of the square names), so it isn't simply a case of ignoring the letters as one has to account for them as well.

One obvious benefit is that the maps will tend to point out entries in the database that are incorrect, for one of the following reasons:

If more than one spelling is used for a particular county, then there will be more than one spelling for that county in the list.

If a particular WAB square is associated with the wrong county, it will tend to show up on the map as being well separated from those that are part of that county.

Another option would be to use TWO listboxes on the left. The left hand list would be used to select the county of interest, and the right hand list would then select the WAB Large Square within that county to be mapped. You could then use a fixed 10x10 grid for the actual map itself.

I now have Visual BASIC 4 (the only version I have access to) installed, and I'm working on a standalone program that would do this as a server. The first stage was to obtain and digitise a map of the UK broken down into the individual WAB squares (note squares, not areas) so the resulting map would look realistic.

I should have a basic outline of what I'm thinking of ready in a couple of week's time at the latest, and will put it online for you to play with when I do.

Best wishes from Riley G7GOD / KB8PPG