ICOM Rig Control & USB

Post your general comments about Winlog32 here.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

ICOM Rig Control & USB

Post by G0CUZ »

This is an extract from a message I received from John EI5FOB and may interest you if you have similar problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A while back I was asking for your help about getting a usb rig control interface OPC-478U from icom to work for my friend.

This interface turned out to be a clone interface for cloning from rig to computer and then to other rig and not for rig control

On further investigation the circuit for the opc-478 was found to be the same as the opc-662 which is what I use for rig control but the wiring of the 3.5mm stereo jack plug is different.
On the opc-662 signal goes to the tip and ground goes to the sleeve (mono plug)
On the opc-478 signal goes to the sleeve and ground goes to the ring (stereo plug)

So I got a simple 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm mono adapter maplin part number FK14Q to reverse the connections and all works as if it was an opc-662.
If it was my own I would have cut off the stereo connector and soldered on a mono plug (cable screen to sleeve and signal wire to the tip)

I just sent this for info because the opc-662 is impossible to purchase and the ct-17 is very expensive
So the opc-478 will work with a tiny mod and is half the price of the ct-17

Note opc-478u is usb version and the opc-478 is db9 serial version and mod is the same for both.

John EI5FOB"

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author