QSL designer nearing completion

Post your general comments about Winlog32 here.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

HI

For those interested in the QSL design and print method for Winlog32, read on.

Hopefully the final file format is now established and this project is nearing completion, and I have designed a couple of QSL's for myself which may give you some idea of what will be possible with next version of Winlog32 if you are so inclined.

As the designer can export only a bitmap in BMP format, I have converted these files for convenience to a compressed JPG file format.
You can download and have a look at the files in any picture viewer.

Check out the following files:

http://www.winlog.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/qsl1.jpg

and

http://www.winlog.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/qsl2.jpg

(Enter these url's into your browser and download the files onto your hard drive)

There are a few limitations in the designer, but overall I am satisfied with the results so far achieved.

Some extra features recently added include:

A function to switch any "Please QSL...." text automatically to either "Please QSL...." or "Thanks QSL....." depending on the status of the 'QSLIn' field.

Additional data transfer from the either or both of the 'Remarks' and 'User' fields any text that is enclosed in square brackets thus if 'Remarks' field =

"op John, QTH Somwhereabout, [Thanks for QSO John], QRP operator"

Then "Thanks for QSO John" is added to QSL card automatically at the desired position.

"QSL Via..." is another of the standard data transfer fields and works the same as on the QSL Labels.

Any QSL size can be set.

All text can be edited for content, Font - style - size - colour - type, Alignment(right - left - centre), Background Colour or transparent,

A background picture and any overlaying pictures in recognised formats can be added.

All QSL.DAT files can be saved/loaded/edited as required.

In the printing method which will take place from the 'Print QSL' window, any ONE QSO can be selected from the 'to do' list and printed but only one at a time, updating the Log as you go.
I have decided on this approach for a couple of reasons, firstly its much easier, secondly its possible to edit the data on screen if required for each QSL, and of course it usually takes quite a while to print out a full colour QSL anyway.

On the down side though, only one QSL card per printed sheet can be printed, as I said there are some limitations that we will have to live with.

Designs may not be transportable, I have some testing to do here, the font styles in the design may not be available on another system.

To those of you who may have used the test version already, firstly thanks for all the comments, all were favourable and all reported no problems getting to grips with the design interface.
Unfortunaltely as the design file format has been changed since the test version, you will not be able to use any existing design files that you designed with the test version, sorry for that but I'm sure that the additional features the changes have allowed make up for it!

I hope to include but this may be at a later stage, various picture file logos for inclusion in your designs, I may set up a 'bank' where users can sent me useful logos as long as these do not have any copyright attached.
I may also set up a page on the Winlog site for best QSL designed with Winlog of the Month, if I find any interest?

Although it's a little late in the day to start asking for more features to be added, as always I always welcome any discussion here on the forum.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
M3PHP
New user

Post by M3PHP »

Great work colin, cant wait to try it

keep the good work up

73 Peter, M3PHP

Edited by - m3php on 30/09/2002 5:19:30 PM
pe1hwo
New user

Post by pe1hwo »

Hi Colin,

Looking good, much better then just labels.

Greetings André pe1hwo

GU6EFB
Keen user

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

Ive just looked at your QSL card design and it looks very good indeed
Can’t wait to try ver 1.9

The only down side I can see with the design is the GJ call
thinks you went to the wrong island Hi
Hope you had a good time in GJ.
Us GU boys always take the mickey out of the GJ boys
Thanks for an excellent logging program its the master log here any contest
results from other software are always imported into WL

73 Keith
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Keith

...but they would not let us land our raft on GU, wild life sanctuary? - probably with emphasis on the 'Wild' so had to paddle over to next Island, there was talk of confiscating my QRO PA by the natives too!

Just kidding guys, we had a great time in Jersey, and great pity that we only caught a brief glimpse of St.Peter Port on the way back.

regards Colin

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
ON7KZ
New user

Post by ON7KZ »

Hi Collin,

Great job you have done
I 'm loking forwards to try it out for my own QSL card design

Best 73's Luc
ON7KZ
pe1mzs
New user

Post by pe1mzs »

This is an interessting feature when using the rover mode!!!! no need to go to the printshop and order relative low amount of cards

Nice job Collin

looking forward for relaese 1.9 and also the new install file for all of the software

73'

Jasper
de PE1MZS

jasper