Beacon database

Post your general comments about Winlog32 here.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Beacon database

Post by G0CUZ »

The integral Beacon database used in Winlog32 was originated by GI0OTC who after while lost interest in the project, later this was updated regularly on 6m by G4DEZ and I appreciate the work they have put into this previously, however the database had not been updated for a couple of years so I am taking on the responsibility of revising this myself.

The database is probabaly of most interest to the VHF/UHF fraternity, however it does also have beacons from the HF bands.

I have now given the database a complete revision on 6m, 4m, 2m, and also revised the format to include a revision date and a 'Last Heard' date. I have also stripped out many duplicated and incorrect entries and beacons that were licensed but never active, the default option lists only currently active beacons.

I will try and keep the database as up-to-date as it is practical, but how often will depend on what interest and feedback I get from other users, "Use It Or Loose It"!

Some 'personal' beacon activity may not be included as activity is often unreliable or restricted, by the term 'personal' beacons, I refer to beacons where the beacon keeper will use their own callsign with a suffix /B, often the original keeper will continue their own activity but their beacon activity has ceased.

Most personal beacons from W/VE have been deleted after 3 years of no activity, they are very rarely re-activated.

For the purpose of the Beacon database; ALL amateur beacons will be listed without the suffix /B after the callsign even if the suffix is normally included in the beacon identification.

The lastest beacon database will be released with each new version update of Winlog32, however I may make it available only as a seperate update later.

Anyone who is interested in beacons on particular bands, I welcome any corrections or up-to-date information you may have, please note that I am NOT INTERESTED in beacon lists from 'this or that' source as my research concludes that almost all these lists have been derived from the same early source and most - if not all are out-of-date or inaccurate in some way, I do NOT want to recycle this old data.

Presently only 6m, 4m and 2m have been revised completely, for the UHF/SHF bands research is ongoing and as is that for the HF beacons.

The 220MHz and 900MHz North American bands will be revised/updated ONLY if there is any interest from Winlog32 users in that area, this also applies to SHF beacons (if any) outside of Europe.

The other non amateur services in the database will be retained for the time being, most of the TV stations are now defunct, the VOR and other services will only be updated if there is sufficient interest/help as these probably are of very limited interest/use otherwise they may get deleted in the future.

The criteria for 'Active' is that the beacon MUST have been heard or reported active during the previous 12 months, otherwise it will be relegated to an 'inactive' status, some exceptions are made to this rule where the beacon may be in very remote areas or beacons that are not often heard for propagation reasons e.g. SHF.

Beacons that have not been active since year 2000 will be permanently deleted from the database, other inactive beacons will be retained with 'inactive' status just for reference.

73 Colin
G0CUZ