Registration Number

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
mcelmer1
New user

Registration Number

Post by mcelmer1 »

Curious here. Where do I find the registration number for Winlog32 so I can register it? I looked in the Help section for guidance and no info there.

W8TRN

Edited by - mcelmer1 on 02/06/2007 03:40:48 AM
K4FX
New user

Registration Number

Post by K4FX »

Hi Mike,

I took off with the family to take a little mini vacation, we're off work Monday so we're taking a little time off to reward the kids for a job well done this year at school. Honor roll for all three, musta took after their Mom HI HI

The registration is done by sending a donation to the author, Colin, G0CUZ and then he sends you a reg key that unlocks the map feature, a bonus feature. The registration doesn't activate anything that would hinder the operation of the program in any way, as it sits now on your PC, it's a completely full featured, no time limit, no nag screens logging program, heck I have yet to register mine, I am ashamed to say, that's something I am going to do in the next few days as a matter of fact. After 6 years it's about time don't you think? HI HI. Especially after all the service Colin has given to me. I owe him a lot more than the donation.....with people selling programs for 80-100 dollars that aren't even close to this one's performance, Colin has really done a HUGE favor for the ham community. Sadly only we Winlog users truly realize the depth of this gift he has taken his valuable time to develop over years and continues to improve upon and gives to us. Looking at the other programmers, VERY FEW think like our good friend Colin, most of them only think in YANKEE DOLLAS and Pay Pal!!!! Nag screens, limited QSO inputs and time limits are the order of the day with most of our other ham "brothers" And Colin treats all Winlog users the same, I can sure attest to that, he provides the same great service for non-registered users as he does the registered ones. But by all means REGISTER, as good as this program is, all users should happily register.

Sounded like you have the manual entry going in the email I saw, so that's a big step in the right direction. If manual works, automatic will work, only thing you could have any problem with would be the time offset to get your GMT correct, this thing is SO simple to do the basic logging of QSO's, you may just be overlooking something right in front of you. As Keith said, there is an awful lot of happy users out there. And I know you will be one of them too, there just is nothing in there NOT to like!

When I return I will send you a list of what I have turned on and what I have turned off in the main settings with explainations of what it does and why I do or don't use it, and you can decide for yourself if you need it. Like I told you before, most of the features are a matter of personal preference, it's not a program where you would want to copy anyone's settings, for instance, if chasing DX is not your thing, then you may not need it to auto check for DXCC on every QSO, like the End Time on the QSOs, although I am a rag chewer as you well know, I don't care about that too much. So I have that unchecked on mine, all I care about is the start time, the time that goes on the QSL. In fact many things that are very important to me, you may not ever use, like the winkey interface, I gotta have it, the Logbook of the World manager, I can't live without it, my rig interface, the program just ain't the same without it, the DX cluster, the solar data, I like collecting it, others may not. There are a LOT of features in this program, and I am still learning new things 6 years later, for instance I was just reading in the hints and tips section today, and I see that once a call is entered (when the call is entered the time is entered as well) and if minutes pass before you actually make the contact, as often happens in the pileups, you can hit F12 and it will update the time when that DX station finally comes back to you, I have been changing the time to the current minute manually. Now to me, that's a handy feature. Somebody who doesn't chase DX, may never have any use for it. That's one of the cool things about Winlog, it's very flexible and can be set up for many different "tastes" in logging.

And I am sure there are many more little things like the F12 feature that I don't know about. I have told you many times and I will say it again, I have used many logging programs and this one is THE ONE to use, it's the most user friendly, the easiest on the eyes, and the best support from Colin and the users forum of any logger out there. In fact this is an unusual situation for me, as I have told many many people about this program, and every one who has taken the time to download and install it, has stuck with it, and this is the first time anyone has ever had any major problem getting it up and running, and none of these fellows were PC gurus, just regular guys and gals. I really don't recall any problems at all, just maybe a few questions on how I had this or that setup, but never anything about it not working correctly.

But it sounds like Keith is analyzing the situation, and from your email saying you were entering QSO's manually, looks like you are well on your way to having it working like everyone elses. One more thing, Colin updates this program fairly regularly and always adds some cool new stuff. So once you are running smoothly, be sure and check back from time to time to make sure you have the latests version and when you do find a new update, be sure read the changes.txt file to see what new toys you have to play with. He is constantly improving and adding features....

Will be in touch late Sunday.

Bill, -K4FX-

Edited by - k4fx on 02/06/2007 07:34:19 AM