where did my master db go?

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
proweb
New user

Post by proweb »

I have been using this one a long time, I was inactive for about a year and recently got on the air and found this new and improved version that no longer needed an external app for the cluster and I love it. I installed it and restored my backup from a year ago and it works perfect. Or rather worked for about a month. Today I went to log the YV0 and I am getting an error that it can't find dxcc mdb file.

There WAS one there, all my 1188 contacts I have loged are there, but the master is gone, the sure sign is all my award options are greyed out,

Am I going have to completely remoive all traces (as in the reg) and re-install and restore, or is there somewhere I can just download the dxcc db file?

Thanks in advance and Colin I am going to send you $$ to register this thing.

73 to all

Bill
W4VD

The mark of an expert isn't that he knows everything; it's that he knows where to look everything up.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

hi Bill.

If all the ancillary databases are 'greyed' out - most strange, if you changed the name of your Log database file then this would be the likely result?

First thing, check the Winlog32 folder to see what is going on, open the ..\LOGS folder, when you open this folder- your log database should be there along with a sub folder which will have the same name as your Log dataase thus, log database file = "W4VD.LOG", sub-folder name = "W4VD", thus the ancillary database set (DXCC, WAZ etc) for this Log are stored in the sub-folder ...\LOGS\W4VD\.

Another similar problem can be caused after updating, and not selecting the correct folder to install into, it should always be installed into the SAME folder as before, the installer tries to guess where you have winlog32 installed via the registry but this is not 100% guaranteed, sometimes the default is set by the installer/user so that the files get installed into (example) C:\Program files\Winlog32\Winlog32\ - this is incorrect and must be avoided.

If this is not the case then see if they are somewhere else they shouldn't be, but anyway perhaps this will give you enough clues to sort it out, if not then drop me some mail, or reply here if you wish.

Incidentally if you did not make a back-up of the ancillary database files from the previous (old) installation, then you will have to re-build a new set using the LCR.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
proweb
New user

Post by proweb »

Hey Colin

Man the W4VD subfolder you mentioned was gone!

I installed to another path, made a log with the same name, copied that subfolder to the LOG dir. and it all went to working, this has my 8 year old written all over it, he (or a ghost) deleted that folder, in my experience things like that just don't disappear. Maybe only when the HD is dying and this one isn't.

But it is fine, my awards are working, before it gave a runtime error and said it couldn't find path, I just tried to enter the yv0 and it took it and reminded me it was a new one on that band like it was supposed to.

Man Colin this thing has come a LONG way, your cluster is as good or better than DXtelnet, the auto eqsl send is a NICE touch,

Colin you ARE the MAN :-)

73 and send me an address you deserve some money

Bill W4VD

The mark of an expert isn't that he knows everything; it's that he knows where to look everything up.