Rig Control and Yaesu Rigs

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Although I have promised to tackle the Yaesu rig control from Winlog32 previously, and I have moaned and groaned at the inacurate and inadequate documentation provided by Yaesu deciding that unless I had a rig to run tests on, it would be almost impossible to make any real progress.

I am willing now to have a fresh look at the situation if some guys will step forward with help in testing.

I have already stated that the Yaesu documentation on CAT is very poor, in all the manuals I have seen.
Other software developers have the much same opinion about Yaesu CAT which I guess was added to allow control of the tranceiver from software and not the reverse - control the software from the tranceiver which is what is required by logging programs.

Anyway now I am ready and would like to run some initial tests on the FT8*7 series, if you are using one of these rigs and would like to help in testing, please contact me directly even if you already have done so previously.

I will be sending out regular test files to those interested and it will be the results of these tests that will decide if I make any progress or not.

I know some Winlog32 users have FT-1000's, and this will be the next one to tackle but it is completely different CAT to the FT-8 series (and anything else), I will look at this one next but it will only confuse me if I try to develop both at the same time!

In the event that no help is forthcoming, I will have to abandon the Yaesu RCW until I have a suitable rig to develop this feature as originally planned.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

I am glad to say that a couple of guys have come forward to help with the testing of the Yaesu Rig Control, a great thank you to ON7KZ and SM0HXB, I am glad to say we have something working with the FT-847 and FT-857 so far, the code used should also work with the FT-817 and FT-897 as these are similar.

I have to tidy the interface and sort a few remaing problems, and then will set to the task of implimenting the FT-1000 series.

The FT1000 CAT has quite a different approach, I know there are Winlog32/FT-1000 users out there so will be looking for testers to come forward to help with this in a week or so.

With the same high calibre of help I see no reason that we can not get Winlog32 working with the FT-1000 too and perhaps others if there is sufficent interest.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

I am glad to announce that the Yaesu CAT option for the FT-1000 series is nearly complete, thanks to the tireless efforts of Len, GM0ONX who was able to give immediate support with testing and evaluating the many many files I sent to him - most of which were non-working!

Although there is a large amount of possibilities with the FT-1000 CAT, I have limited it to getting the frequency and mode into the Log, as well as basic frequency/mode changing from the Rig Control Window as for the Icom/Kenwood RCW's.

Winlog32 v2.7 will have the Yaesu CAT RCW added, which will support the FT8*7 series and FT-1000 series only, the FT9* series will get some attention after the release of V2.7 as it does look like I will need to make more changes for these and I do want to get on with some Winlog things too.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
on4cvl
New user

Post by on4cvl »

I have an FT-817 in use with Winlog32 but select the "add full frequency to log" option, only the field next the band field gets filled in. The full frequency still must be set manually.
Is this still to be corrected or are my settings wrong?

73"s Lieven

on4cvl/qrp
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Lieven

There is a setting in the RCW menu item Settings/OPTIONS "Add full frequency to Log", this must be enabled and also the "ADD kHz" in main Log menu/options.

Only the frequency band will be displayed in the Log BAND selector, the full frequency is added when entering a QSO.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
on4cvl
New user

Post by on4cvl »

Hello Colin,

Do you mean that the frequency will be in the log when the qso record is added to the log by clicking the end button?

This is not happening. The settings are done as you wrote in your reply.
It is correct that the band field(the grey one) is set to the band when changing the band on the transceiver but the field on its left or the one in the log are never set to the full frequency.

73's Lieven

on4cvl/qrp
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi again Lieven

The frequency shuld be added at the point when you press return on the band designator/Freq. Band input.

If this is not happening try setting your Windows system number format (Regional Settings) to a decimal point "." and not a comma "," and restart Winlog32 - this will tell me if it is number format problem.

If it is I will investigate further.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
on4cvl
New user

Post by on4cvl »

Hi Colin,

The return key was the solution.
I always used the tab key to go from field to field.
Now with the return key the frequency is correctly set in the field and I
even get the 'valid qso' question if the rpt field is not set.
Btw, the regional settings are: point for the decimal and comma for the number grouping.

Thanks a lot,
73's Lieven

on4cvl/qrp
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hello again Levine

Yes always use the ENTER/RETURN Key when entering a QSO, using only the TAB key will skip any Logging functions including all the auto-checking.

There is a great advantage using this procedure as a combination of Enter or Tab key presses allows navigating/skipping functions and makes inputting much more flexible, this is particularily evident when using the 'Speed Log' Options.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author