Contesting - quick one

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
Callum
New user

Contesting - quick one

Post by Callum »

I've worked out how to set up WinLog32 for a contest and generate serial numbers. However, I'm not sure where I'm going to put the the locator / zone. I want to do the Worked All Germany contest this afternoon. The report apparently will consist of a 2 digit area code.

I'll export the relevant QSOs at the end of the contest, so which field will I put the two digit area code in? The remarks field - or as part of the report, eg: "59 123 XX"?

By the way, I can't see any difference between Slick mode and Remarks mode. Am I missing something?

Anyone?

Callum.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Contesting - quick one

Post by G0CUZ »

hi Callum

You are probably reading this too late though but..., if the contest does not require serial number exchange you can add it as the serial number part from the Report/Serial number, add the two digits there otherwise it will be necessary to add it in Remarks field, although this may not give satifactory finished output.
You really need to be using contest software for any serious Contest entry, Winlog32 is really general purpose logging software and not really designed for contest work other than in a casual way.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
Callum
New user

Contesting - quick one

Post by Callum »

Thanks Colin. I'm using this as a test for next weekend(!). OK, I understand that I can put a 2 digit code in the report field.. it will fit - but will it be accepted by the contesting people back at RSGB etc when I export the data as ADIF data? Which ADIF menu item do I use? Perhaps I could just export it as TEXT and send it as a CSV file..?

I just need to understand that when I export the data, will it be OK if I put any "variable" data in the remarks column (like locator square, CQ zone etc depending on contest)?

Is there any benefit to creating a new log for each contest, then importing the data back into the main log again?

You say this won't work very well for contesting.. but I find it appears to work OK. I've used contresting software at the club - I just don't want the hassle of firing up and learning another piece of software!

On your say-so, I'll give up and get the club guy to sort me out with some software - but I'd like to see if I can get this to work..?

!

Cal.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Contesting - quick one

Post by G0CUZ »

hi Callum

I have replied at length directly to you on this subject...you may find the Cabrillo export will be a better format for the Contest organisers.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author