Frequency entries

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
M1SEM
New user

Frequency entries

Post by M1SEM »

Just a quick question, when entering the QSO frequency I have noticed that winlog seems to always round it to the nearest number, i.e, 14.2755 becomes 14.276, is there a way to stop this or will I have to live with it?

Great software by the way Colin, definately the best around :)

Shane
M1SEM
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Frequency entries

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi shane

The frequency format is fixed to KHz, it is just an internal format that I decided to use, if users would prefer 100Hz resolution display or greater then it would be quite easy to change and is open to discussion here?.

My personal preference is to log frequency band only, but it is not a problem as the frequency is stored as a pure number, to format according to other requirements.

What I can not do is add a seperator between KHz and Hz, as I have been asked before e.g. 14.123.50 - it would have to be 14.12350 (or maybe 14.123 50 - i'll have to experiment to see if that format is possible).

However because of the space available to display the frequency in the Band input box, not all of the numbers will be visible and this is a serious drawback to adding these Hz resolutions - are they really necessary - if so for what purpose?

I AM quite happy to 'go with the flow'

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
M1SEM
New user

Frequency entries

Post by M1SEM »

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the quick reply, it's great to see such great support

I would love to see that part of the software changed, not to bothered about the seperator, just so long as it stop the rounding of to the nearest figure as I log the freq. lets hope enough would like to see this change, if not I guess I'll have to live with it

thanks again Chris

Shane
M1SEM
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Frequency entries

Post by G0CUZ »

After a little though, I have decided to add an option for the user to select a frequency format when entering Frequencies with KHz or greater resolution (menu/Options/Add KHz)
This will also prove beneficial when I add 'Radio Control' to Winlog32 at a later date

I have chosen several formats and Display would be as example based on 14MHz band:

14.123 4
14.123 45
14.123 456

So resolutions down to Hz are now possible if required, note that these are options so if you prefer to enter just frequency bands then nothing has changed!

If a smaller display format resolution is chosen that the actual frequency resolution entered then rounding will occur in the display, this ONLY affects the display and not the actual frequency entered into the log.

With Band input in Edit mode the editing takes place with the original number without any formating as was the case previously.

The formats are displayed in both the Log band input box and the Log page band column, I have had to make visually minor but nevertheless comprehensive changes to the layout of the LOG input to accomodate the extra space required for displaying these formats in the Band input box whilst retaining the original 'look'.

Where frequncies above 144MHz are entered the larger formats will not entirely fit to the Band input box depending on the number entered, there has to be a compromise between the visual aspect and the mechanics.

Entering frequencies 10GHz and above may restrict you to display only MHz and KHz even though of course it is possible to actually enter any frequency resolution into the Log Band Input as it is stored as a pure number.

The above functions will be present in v2.2 when released

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author