Problems with V 2.0

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
PEMeyer
New user

Problems with V 2.0

Post by PEMeyer »

Hi Colin,

I'm a user of Winlog since about 4 years, and very happy with your programm so far.

Since updating to V 2.0., I got some problems - similar to those of other users. It's not possible for me, to disable several features e.g. Rovermode, Callbook-Autocheck, Speed-Log etc.

Entries in the Winlog.ini-file seems to be ok, but nevertheless the above mentioned features are always active after starting winlog.

This evening a downloaded and installed again V 2.0, but it's still "build 7", which I installed last weak already.

I'm using Windows ME.

Any proposals for further procedere ?

Thanks in advance !!

Vy 73 de Paul - DF1BN
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Problems with V 2.0

Post by DL4KG »

Hi Paul and Colin,

I am fighting the same problem on my WIN98 machine. I deleted the INI-file and set up all from the beginning.....no change. The INI-file looks ok, but WL32 takes the default data and is ignoring the INI-file.

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Problems with V 2.0

Post by G0CUZ »

I will be looking at this again, I thought the problem was solved in v2, on XP I can change to Germany regional settings in Windows with build 7 and it still works OK saving and restoring settings
I will be testing on '95 and '98 with 'German' settings to try and emulate your problem in the next couple of days - will keep you posted.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Problems with V 2.0

Post by DL4KG »

Hi Colin,
I want just to inform you that all worked perfectly in V1.9 with the same system and setup.
I tried to change the decimal point from the German "," to the international ".". It worked but WL32 still doesn´t recognized the INI-file.
I hope that helps a bit to find the "bug".

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Problems with V 2.0

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi everyone

I have been having a think about this one, it would seem to stem from Windows National settings (NOT regional settings which can be easily changed) and the way the new programming software works against it.

I have changed how certain parts of the ini file is read and saved in build 8, the executable can be found in the 'fixv2.zip' file, I do not know it it will work.
Please anyone trying the fix report if it cures or not, i can not test as I would require a 'National' re-installation of Windows e.g. German Windows, Italian Windows. The problem should not affect anyone using an English version of Windows.
The file can be found at:

http://winlog.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/files/fixv2.zip

Replace your existing executable wl32.exe with the one in the zip (build 8)

Those affected by the problem please report if the problem is cured or not so that I can make the file available in the download package.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Problems with V 2.0

Post by DL4KG »

Hi Colin,

with build 8 the problem seems to be cured. I started and stopped the WL32 several times and it came back with the setup of the INI-file every attempt.
Thanks a lot!

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
PEMeyer
New user

Problems with V 2.0

Post by PEMeyer »

Hi Colin,

just installed the "build8" : Indeed the problem seems to be solved now.

Many, many thanks, Colin !

Vy 73 Paul - DF1BN
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Problems with V 2.0

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for the prompt testing guys!
I will include a new build 9 executable in the download file, which should be updated by the week-end.
Hopefully the new installation will be good for all regions now without this problem.
Build 9 will have a few problems corrected in the Solar database which I am working on at the moment - still not finished but will be completed for V2.1

For those interested, it would seem that the latest programming software saves the boolean values (True/False)to the 'ini file' in the native language decided by Windows e.g. In German this would be "Falsh"? as the ini file is a simple 'text' based file, the ini reading routine was testing only for "False". The older language used for v1 did not behave this way, so problem never appeared before.
Simple case of changing any such text found in the ini file to a true Boolean value irrespective of Windows language used.
Now if the user changes the Windows native language used to a different one and uses the old ini file, then the ini file may not work correctly for the first time used but will work fine after. Fortunately this doesn't happen very often hi hi.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
Arnaldo
New user

Problems with V 2.0

Post by Arnaldo »

I am using that BUILD 9, and the problem of loss of SETTINGS, is larger than in the version BUILD 5

WINDOWS XP - PRO - Portuguese

I lost my version 1.9, would like to have again at my library.

73 - Arnaldo - PY4BL

http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/py4bl
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Problems with V 2.0

Post by G0CUZ »

I have made changes yet again to the ini reading procedures to try and correct this problem in all Windows Language settings.

I have included build 10 in the downloadable, would be interested in hearing if this has corrected the problem with those who have been experiencing lost settings.

I have tested in Italian, Dutch, Slovenian, and Portugese-Brazillian, and it does seem to work OK now.

Sorry for this inconvenience to the guys who are experiencing this problem - It is quite a job to check in every language as it requires a re-boot after each change. If anyone else would like to volunteer - great.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author