Multiple rig connection

Discuss with others what you would like to see in later versions of Winlog32.
GU6EFB
Keen user

Multiple rig connection

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

This maybe asking a lot or not even possible but

Would it be possible to allow more than one transceiver to be connected at once?

Maybe it would be possible to define the rig and comport to a group of bands

What I am thinking is I use a 756 for HF and a 910 for 144, 432 and 1296Mhz
At the moment I use a manual data switch to switch rigs

I look forward to your thoughts on this one

Thanks for the best logging software available

Regards

Keith GU6EFB
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Multiple rig connection

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Keith.

I am surprised that no-one as asked me for multiple ICOM rigs before. I did consider this when doing the original work, but it got shelved.

There is a little complication but it is not impossible, the ICOM range use the CI-V with this interface each rig is given a unique indentity 'address' so it should be possible just to chain the rigs together with a single connection to the computer serial
The only problem is the the rig 'TRN' option must be ON to work the interface to the serial port corrctly, but then the rigs will interact with each other - we don't want this so there is a little 'dodge' by setting each rig with a different baud setting so there will be no interaction between rigs but still working on one serial, anyway that's the theory.
There will have to be considerable changes to the existing RCW. I will look through the code and see what I needs to be done and how would we want the RCW to interact with 2 (or more) rigs in use.
Using different rig types with three windows open is just a case of interacting with the last rig used, but when they are sharing same RCW, not sure how it will work out yet, but anyway I will keep you posted and hopefull you will be availabe for some testing, let me know if your use the pukka Icom CT-17 interface or what?

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
GU6EFB
Keen user

Multiple rig connection

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

Thanks for the fast reply

The interface that I use is a home built / design using a max 232 IC

Out of interest I downloaded the Icom CT-17 interface and looked at the circuit and it is very similar to mine so hopefully my unit should work ok with multiple rigs
I am more than happy to test if you decide to take this further

73 Keith
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Multiple rig connection

Post by G0CUZ »

Hello Keith.

I have been experimenting with two Icom rig interfaces on one port, and have encountered some difficulties which I can not easily solve, the problem is with the design of the CI-V protocol.
The the Tranceiver 'TRN' function must be on for use with the Winlog32 RCW, this allows a non-polling method to be used which gives a smooth transfer of data and low resource usage, I don't wish to change this to an antiquated polling method like with the Yaesu rigs.

OK; but when Tranceiver 'TRN' is on, any other rigs connected to the same CIV serial will comunicate with each other too, thus changing frequency on Rig 1 will change frequency on Rig 2.
At least this is what I understand - but not having two Icom rigs to chain together I have to rely on the information available.

In some ways it would be simpler to have a seperate RCW for each rig, this would require using seperate ports though, but would give independat control.

I have not abandoned the idea, as I have already done a lot of the work on the CI-V two rigs on a single serial port idea, but have postponed further development until I have more time to work on it.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
m3ikh
New user

Multiple rig connection

Post by m3ikh »

how about changing the white text in the box next to the callsighn box the one that gives you the prefix details ect its hard to read.and a rpt shift on the yaesu interface.and more control on the yaesus menues ie power control ect.and the winlog32 is the best logging in the world.i used ham radio delux but the logging in it is rubbish.if only it had winlog32 in it

tony
GU6EFB
Keen user

Multiple rig connection

Post by GU6EFB »

Hi Colin

Thanks for the update
I will leave it up to you how you wish to implement this if it is not going to cause you to many problems I am willing to test anything that you want to through at me.

Fine on the time problem I have the same here at the moment

Thanks for the great job you do with Winlog32
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Multiple rig connection

Post by G0CUZ »

This message addressed to Tony, M3IKH.

I am sure the problem with the display is because you are using the 'girlie' XP default colours!?

Why don't you try the Windows traditional display.

Right click your Desktop, select Properties; Themes; "Windows Classic".

Sorry, but I just can not stand those XP colours

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author