Query

Discuss with others what you would like to see in later versions of Winlog32.
VK6CJL
New user

Query

Post by VK6CJL »

Hi Colin,
I seem to be having a problem with the Search Callsign
whenever I click the X box to clear the callsign I have searched for
it disipears ( could you have spell checker on this ????)HI
I then have to go into Search and then click on Callsign to get it back again
is there any way that you can have this as it was before!!!!!

One other question ... is there anyway that there can be an auto check
with Callbook Internet It would save time in having to go through Database
Callbook then Internet ..
I'm using the latest update WL2.5 build 12
Other than that no Problems

73 de Les VK6CJL
Perth W.A.
DL4KG
Bit of a boffin

Query

Post by DL4KG »

Hi Les,

the X box is to delete the search box itself, not for clearing the entry field. If you want to clear the field mark the entry and press the DEL key or use the backspace key when the cursor is behind the last letter in the search box.
I have nor experience with the callbook feature.

But I hope that I could help you with the first problem.

73 de Gerald - DL4KG

www.qsl.net/dl4kg
73 de Gerald - DL4KG
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Query

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Les

I think Gerald has cleared up the misunderstanding of the purpose of the X button, I have standardized this now on the mini-windows in place of a "CLOSE" button which takes up more space.
I will add that the Callsign is cleared automatically after a 10 second period (approx) when starting to enter another Callsign.

Regarding the Look-up @ QRZ.COM - I guess this is what you are referring to, I guess I could add an auto-lookup - no-one mentioned this before - the value of asking?, this has to launch or use your internat browser each time so could be a little slow.
In v2.6 I have implemented fully the QRZ online Callbook, this feature allows direct access to the QRZ Callsign database without the need for the browser, however I do believe it requires a subscription, but would be an alternative to having out-of-date Callbook CDRoms.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
VK6CJL
New user

Query

Post by VK6CJL »

Hi All,
Thanks Gerald I got so used to the other way I never really bothered to look deeper.
Colin ,
I am connected to the internet 24 hrs 7 days a week as I'm downloading
the SFI etc It would be nice to have Auto check for QRZ.COM. As I don't
see the need to get the CD's as after about 3 months most of it is out of date
Hence I use the internet for all my info.
Looking forward to Version 2.6.
All the best and keep up the good work .

73 de Les VK6CJL
Perth W.A.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Query

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Les

I did some experimneting with the QRZ.COM with internet Browser lookup, adding an auto-check but this did not work out too well
The browser has to take focus to show it on top of Winlog32, this means that Winlog32 window will looses focus to the browser window at the point where you enter a Callsign.
Alternativly Winlog32 keeps focus so that you can continue entering log QSO data but this then hides the browser beneath the Winlog32 window. All in all although it works - it looks and feels clumsy.

The direct QRZ online Callsign lookup is already impemented, and works well instead of a Callbook CDRom and uses the same Callbook winodw, it does not suffer the above problem as all procedures takes place within Winlog32.

As I mentioned before the access to the QRZ.COM online callbook will require a subscription with QRZ.

So having thought about it - I will abandon the auto-browser lookup for now.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
w0eb
New user

Query

Post by w0eb »

Hi Colin,
I agree with Les on this one. Also, I use the remarks field for Name, QTH etc. as it's the same as the paper logs I used years ago. I don't even enter anything in the "User" field. That may just be a USA thing though. I'm not at all familiar with the logging requirements of other countries.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB

quote:
Hi Colin,

One other question ... is there anyway that there can be an auto check
with Callbook Internet It would save time in having to go through Database
Callbook then Internet ..
I'm using the latest update WL2.5 build 12
Other than that no Problems

73 de Les VK6CJL
Perth W.A.

Ham Radio without CW is like coffee without caffeine!
w0eb
New user

Query

Post by w0eb »

Hi Colin,
I agree with Les in his post. I have broadband access to the internet, and my computer is always connected. It would be nice to be able to turn on an auto check of the entered call and have the information looked up on QRZ or Buckmaster, both of which have limited FREE lookups.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB
Wichita, KS, USA

Ham Radio without CW is like coffee without caffeine!
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Query

Post by G0CUZ »

Regarding the auto-lookup, I do see the desire for this, BUT for the reasons mentioned before it does not work properly as-is because it uses other software e.g. Internet Explorer to process and display the information. Please see my previous explanation.

I will in due course have another look at it to see if I can find a way around the problems encountered.

In the meantime take a look at the online QRZ.COM lookup just introduced into Winlog32, the expense may or may not be viable, but maybe this is the future for callbooks.

I know that more guys have 24hr online access now, I have his myself too, and I want to make a much use of the information available on the 'net' as possible, but as always these things take time.
This year I introduced LoTW and the QRZ online database lookup, but don't want to neglect other aspects of Winlog32 which I need to spend time on.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author