What about to arrange feature 'remember settings'

Discuss with others what you would like to see in later versions of Winlog32.
UR9QR
New user

Post by UR9QR »

Dear Colin.
Everytime I run the log in order to fill in my 15 years old qsos from old paper log and every time I must do the same procedure to prepare for that especially: set 'auto report' then 'keep date current' then swith off 'auto enter date' then delete 'power figures' 10,50,100 etc. This routine procedure is rather boring. Some times I have to repeat some times that, when I have to close winlog or system hulted and requires restart.
What about to arrange a radio button 'keep settings current' or 'remember settings' in your nest versions or updates?
Another proposal of probably to arrange a feature to completely hide all fields except Callsign, Date, Start time and report. That's will sharply reduce time of entering old qso's or other purposes of the kind.
Regards and 73's
Nikolay UR9QR
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hello Nick

Thanks for the comments.

The next version will remember "Keep Date".

Winlog32 does save all user settings at time of shut down, if system crashes then any new settings are lost but old ones retained.

Some settings are reset to defaults upon each start-up, there is a reason for this as if some time elapse between sessions then there is not any obvious indication that a setting is ON until you start useing the Log, and likely confusion follows.

Having said that most 'user' settings are saved - if you want to see what settings are actually saved then you can open the 'Winlog.ini' file with any text editor.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
UR9QR
New user

Post by UR9QR »

Thank you Colin for your comments. Glad you understand necessity of option 'KEEP DATE'. Easy way to achieve so was suggested by HAM from France Gerard F6GCI. He supposed to change property of Winlog.ini from 'archived' to 'read only'. Then old settings would remined as set once. I guess, it should work.
Regards,
Nick UR9QR
UR9QR
New user

Post by UR9QR »

Hi Colin.
1) I faled with changing attributes of Winlog.ini file. I changed it to read only, but it doesn't help me to keep old settings.
The only one thing annoying me is necessity to remove power every time I run the log. I do not practice to record power and especially for 15 years old records. So, I would rather appriciate in next versions to forseen that possibility, i.e. not to add power automaticly. As well as hide all neccessary fields except main once i.e. call sign, report, end or start time (upon user's choice) band that's all. This also would be neccessary incase preparing log for eqslling service.
2) Could you suggest some ways to recognize countries correctly while recording 15-12 years old callsigns. I uderstand that I can use old prefix data base, but then it would be a problem with current recording and proper countries recognizing. Another way is to keep two winlog32 old one for old records and new one for new once. Are there any other approaches to solve the problem?
Thanks and good luck!
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hello Nick

Sorry for delay in replying, guess I overlooked this message.

First to un-enable the Power input, you need menu/options/settings/Custom Lists tab, "ADD PROP" and enter "OFF" into the list - you can also delete the other items in the power list if you like.
Select OFF from the log drop down Power list and it will skip the Power input box when logging. This setting will be saved.

I am always updating the prefix database and if you have any problem with any old callsigns/Prefixes please advise me and I can update the master Prefix database which will benefit everyone.
There is a way to manually update the user part of the Prefix database, the prefix database IS date dependent, I would not recommend you doing this for a lot of prefixes or Callsigns, much better to advise me to make changes to the master prefix database, I will add that it is difficult with the ex-USSR prefixes, there were a lot of variations!

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author