Winlog32 Beta under Linux-Wine

Post your general comments about Winlog32 here.
n8oou
New user

Post by n8oou »

I would like to report that I successfully installed the Beta version in the Linux - Wine environment. My initial checkout found no problems with the basic program functions. I have a little more testing to do before I move my real logs to this release. I am running Slackware 14.0 Linux and Wine 1.5.5.

Thank you Colin for continuing development of this application, and using Windows capabilities that are supported by Wine. I know you do not support a Linux version of WinLog32, but this way works very nicely for me.

Have a nice day. de N8OOU - Mike
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for the report Mike.

Will be interested in how successful this turns out to be, as I am sure will others.

Colin
G0CUZ
n8oou
New user

Post by n8oou »

Here is my update on this topic. Quick Background - I have been running WinLog 5.8.1 for over a year in this environment, with just 1 issue that I recently discovered. More about that in another post.

I downloaded the version 5.8.9 and installed without issue into it's own directory. I made a database/log and keyed a few records in then made/wrote this topic in the forum.

Today I have been doing further testing and am running into un-explainable problems. One thing that I see is the application will just freeze. I can't close the app, click or do any function within the app, I can open a new app or switch to a different task, but the Winlog screen won't repaint when you switch back to it. I know from the cpu usage that it is not stuck in a loop, It must be waiting on something.

The second thing is Winlog will abort in the Wine equivalent of the "Blue Screen of Death". The last time I caused that I had started the app, Loaded the log, and clicked on three different log entries to display the details. It has aborted this way a number of times as I have been trying the various features. The good news is that I have not lost any data, or corrupted the data files that I can see. I have a hunch that the Linux environment is trapping an attempt to access memory outside the bounds of the application.

I am not a super Wine guru so I'm not sure if I can assist in any debugging. I offer what help I can. I am thinking I need to remove this version, and try the current 5.8.4 release. If that release has issues 5.8.1 works fine for my needs.

I also know that a new stable release of Wine is out which could correct these issues. I will consider an upgrade there too.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for the update Mike.

I can not be of much help with these problems as I have no experience of Linux.

There is a significant difference between the 5.8.9 beta (and the previous 5.8.x betas) over the current general release of v5.8.4.

I think it is fair to say most would now be running the 5.8.9 beta though.

v5.8.4 and all previous versions were compiled on a XP machine whereas all current development has taken place on Windows 7 machines, this has a greater compatibly with later operating systems, unfortunately I can not compile on XP anymore, I have to move forward.

Initially a few problems did appear with these betas on some Windows platforms, but with 5.8.9 onwards all seems to be pretty stable now judging by the correspondence I get and my own experience.

I have now moved on with a series of private betas v5.9.x, which when fully tested will end up being v6, although this has changes, extra features and improvements, I can not see anything would be significant over 5.8.9 with respect to the problems you are having.

It is doubtful I could change the behaviour in Winlog32 to suit 'Wine', my main concern is the Windows operating systems for which it was/is designed of course, however please feel free to experiment and post the results, if there is any particular problem you can pin-point, I will be glad to discuss with you the possible cause and offer advice on any work-around.

73 Colin, G0CUZ
n8oou
New user

Post by n8oou »

Colin, Thanks for the explanation on the switch to Win7. Some Win7 developed apps work under my version of Wine and some don't. Sometimes the installer won't even run. I have Wine set to emulate XP. Maybe I should go with the Wine Update and try 5.8.9 again. Wine is an on-going development project also and things get repaired and/or enhanced.

I understand and respect your commitment to Windows development and don't expect you to debug my problems. I will live with what works, and what does not. My testing so far this morning of v5.8.4 has gone well.

I have created a new topic this morning in help and support which I think could be a problem in Windows. Maybe you have addressed it in a later release, which is why I was trying to catch up.

N8OOU Mike 73