Are you using the Winkey interface?

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Dale

Thanks for the feedback

I have fixed the function key problem.

There is a short delay when invoking send, this is consequence of the new routines which use a software 'word' buffer, I have not found it a serious issue whilst on test, the delay factor will also depend on the send speed and some other actions.
Perhaps you can let me have some further info: What CPU speed? what send speed?
and what method are you using to send e.g. Memory or keyboard? Do you pre-enable the SEND button (so it shows 'END') when in send mode?
Have you the option Winkey2 enabled in Options - Hardware?

About the PTT, I didn't test this, but will be having a look, the PTT is enabled by the Winkey firmware when sending, e.g. I do not enable the PTT from the software, but this may be necessary
Have you tried experimenting the option PTT - Lead and Tail, anyway I can hope to better replicate your parameters when I have the above information for testing.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
kb5iy
New user

Post by kb5iy »

Hi Colin,

Pentium 4 2.00GHz, 1.00 GB Ram

Winkey 2 is selected under the hardware tab.

Under the PTT tab, if I set the Lead to 20, I do not experience the assertion of the PTT and almost immediate de-assertion of the PTT followed by the assertion again. Although I do experience the drop and assertion of PTT randomly while sending. This is the sending of a memory. Even a short one, such as my call.

I do pre-enable the send button.

The speed is from 22 to 26 WPM.

The delay in sending, and this is using the mouse to click the memory button, approaches a second at times and is always quite noticeable. Again, I am using the mouse since the function keys do not work. The delay doesn't change when turning off PTT and using VOX on the rig to key it. Quite often when working a station with just an exchange, the DX station will start to send my call again before the rig even keys to send my response. Makes for a confusing exchange.

I hope this helps.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks for the info Dale, I will look into it again.

I agree, a one second delay is too much, but have not experienced this myself except when using the Contest mode when auto-sending from Log input and found tis a handicap in the heat of a contest.
I found myself clicking on sending a little eariy.

The no-functioning function keys are now fixed.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
kb5iy
New user

Post by kb5iy »

Colin,

One other thing I've noticed is that I never see updates, at least with the last few versions when I do a check for updates. I didn't realize that you had a 5.5.5 until I checked the download page yesterday.

Thanks for the great support too.

Dale
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Thanks Dale

In v5.5.5 - 'Latest Updates' window now shows Prefix updates again, I did I have suspended this on old versions due to a compatibility issue.
The latest prefix database format does not work with older versions of Winlog32

I guess this is what you refer to?

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
kb5iy
New user

Post by kb5iy »

Hi Colin,

5.5.4 and a few versions previous to it did not show updates for anything. 5.5.5 is the same way. I am pretty sure that it used to state what version of Winlog32 was available, even if I was at the most current. An image is http://www.pbase.com/dalefrederick/image/133449570 from after I press the Connect button.

Dale
F5JSD
New user

Post by F5JSD »

Hi Dale,

Looking at your screenshot, it seems you need to click the bottom left "Connect" button. WL32 will then ping the server and feedback the available updates.

73 de Pascal - F5JSD
G4ZNK
New user

Post by G4ZNK »

Hi Pascal

I have the same problem which occurs after pressing the CONNECT button.

This has only arisen recently.

Regards

Roy (G4ZNK)
F5JSD
New user

Post by F5JSD »

All is fine here.

Win XP home edition

73 de Pascal - F5JSD
k9se
New user

Post by k9se »

Colin,
I just updated to version 5.5.8 from version 5.3.9 and would like to share how I had been using the Winkey tool. I usually use the Winkey tool to work DX where the Morse speed is fast and the exchange short. I have my callsign in one of the function key memories and the brief exchange in a adjacent function key. I normally use full break-in and will interrupt my callsign transmission when I hear the DX station by tapping a paddle on the key. I will typically send my callsign with very short pauses (0.1 seconds)between callsign transmission end and the next function key press. I use on hand on the keyboard to handle the function keys and my other hand is on the paddles in case I need to send anything other that what is pre-programmed. An inportant feature of the previous tool was that I could send my callsign from the beginning of the call after transmission interuption with the paddles.

The buffering in the latest version introduces too long of a delay from function key press to the keying of the transmitter. Also, I can't send with Winkey until I click the Send/Stop command button and then everything that is in the send text box is resent.

I wasn't sure if I could reinstall the older version over the newer version so I created a new directory to reinstall the older version. Of course, I now have two log files that I have to keep synchronized.

I'm still learning how to exploit all the features of you great program and I definitely appreciate your efforts.

Jim, K9SE