WAB screen column widths...

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
rhw2
New user

WAB screen column widths...

Post by rhw2 »

Hi Colin.

Following on from my last post, on the Database => WAB => Edit screen:

The index column is not quite wide enough for the NW and SW entries, but is fine for the remaining entries.

The Area column is fine.

With the exception of an entry where I worked GM0/EA3MMM/M whilst mobile myself, the callsign entry is fine. I don't regard oddball callsigns such as that as a problem for the column width.

The County column isn't wide enough to fully show counties such as GREATER MANCHESTER and NORTH HUMBERSIDE so really wants to be widened.

Personally, I also dislike the fact that the county is forced to all uppercase, and would prefer to see it in the more standard first letter of each word capitalised format.

Where I have an Authority to enter, it is always truncated on the default column width, so this column needs considerable widening.

As with the log screen, the Date column only shows month and year with the date hidden, and needs to be widened.

The Band column is tight for the 432 MHz entries I have, and is likely to be insufficiently wide once I start making contacts on the Microwave bands.

The Mode column is completely missing. This was presumably an oversight but, although not required for the actual WAB Award applications, it is possible to make an application stating that all contacts included in that application were made both on a particular band and in a particular mode, so it really needs to be present here.

As a programmer myself, I appreciate that item 8 will be a problem to deal with. I can see two possible solutions to this problem:

Have the update delete the WAB database and then auto-run the WAB AutoBot to rebuild it from the log. This has the problem that it assumes that all WAB database entries are also in the log, which isn't guaranteed (although it's true here).

Allow the WAB AutoBot to add the mode column to entries from the log that currently match the log other than having the mode missing.

Personally, I would recommend that option B is taken.

There is a column twice the width of the current entries that is unused on my display. There is thus plenty of room for widening columns.

Finally, can you advise on the correct method for entering multiple WAB squares during a single contact? The logical method of entering the WAB XX99 COUNTY string multiple times doesn't work, partly due to the restrictive width of the comments field, but also because WinLog32 appears to only consider the first such string anyway.

Best wishes from Riley G7GOD / KB8PPG

Edited by - rhw2 on 21/03/2003 08:19:25 AM