ancilliary database

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
pa0jed
New user

ancilliary database

Post by pa0jed »

Hello Winloggers

Perhaps someone can help me we the following problem I have in using
Wlog32.

from the help menu:
"If any or all the menu/database items are not enabled (appear grey), this would mean that the databases are not available in the Log database extension."

And that's what is happening to me, but how do I "un"-grey that fields.
Did like to check i.e. my DXCC standing etc.

Did study the Help file, but my english and *.mdb knowledge is vy poor.
So don't understand everything explained there.

73 jan pa0jed

jan, pa0jed
G0CUZ
Site Admin

ancilliary database

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Jan

If the ancillary databases are 'greyed' this means that these ancilliary database files are not available for the current selected log database.

Possible causes are:

You did not make a Database 'Extension' when making your new log for the first time - if you accept all defaults when making a new Log database this will normally be done.

You may have made such an extension and have since deleted the relative folder or files.

You may have made a new/another installation of Winlog and copied your back-up log database to the new installation.

To cure the problem:

Winlog32/Menu/File/NEW LOG

Open the New LOG Database window.

In the ADD LOG list section you should see the name of your Log database.

PRESS the "MAKE NEW DATABASE" button.

Enter exactly the name of you Log database (BUT without the .LOG bit)

Press "PROCEED" button.

You will get a warning message "LOG EXISTS - Do you wish to make another extension..."

Press "YES" button

Another Message will appear asking "Do you wand unique datbases with this log...".

Press "YES" button

A third message will inform you that the extension has been created for that log.

(If a warning message appears "CAN NOT CREATE EXTENSION - DELETE FOLDER AND TRY AGAIN" - you will need to do this as it already exists and there is some other problem.)

Close the New Log window.

Press the LOAD button to refresh the Log and now the Ancillary Databases will be available to work with the Log.

What the above procedure is doing is making a sub-folder in WINLOG/LOGS/ - the sub-folder having the same name as your Log database and copying the 'Blank' ancilliary database set to it. When Winlog loads a Log - it checks for the existance of this folder and it's ancilliary databases. This way each log database used in Winlog can have a completely independant set of ancilliary databases and consequently separate tracking of DXCC/IOTA/WAZ etc. for each Log database.

73 Colin G0CUZ
Winlog32 Author
pa0jed
New user

ancilliary database

Post by pa0jed »

Colin

Thanks, did try it and ok now.
Sri, didn't/don't know database stuff much.
I'm used to Window prog, can change always something during operations
Here you have to deside before what you want, that was my mistake.
Prog works great, only when looking at a logbook database with a text viewer, I saw a huge HTML text in the middle of the data file.
Did erase this HTML part and now Winlog returns with a error code
Nothing serious just made some test logging, just don't hope I have a virus
which I don't now nothing about.
Agn thanks for the prog.

jan, pa0jed