MDB files and unwanted QSOs

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
g8hgn1442
Keen user

MDB files and unwanted QSOs

Post by g8hgn1442 »

Hi Colin,
I've had a few errors in my log for DXCC,IOTA & CTY's. These have occured over the years as I entered both reports for a QSO but the QSO never completed due to no rogers. But for some reason I've added the QSO as good. I've now removed all those QSOs.
I was speaking to Paul G3YDY about this and he said he'd spoken to you about this a while ago and I could rename the relevant MDB files as "old DXCC, etc,etc" run the log checker and generate new files without the errors.
I did the rename but when I went to run the checker all the tick boxes were greyed out. This seems to be as there are now no files to write to. So I copied the old files and deleted the content and tried with those. The boxes appeared, but only IOTA seemed to have any data in it.
I'm obviously doing something wrong. Could you point me in the right direction please.
No panic the log is still working fine, as I re-renamed the original files and I'm back to square one. Thanks.

Bob G8HGN
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: MDB files and unwanted QSOs

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Rob

It is a good idea to refresh the DXCC and other databases from time-to-time to correct such problems as you have.

The ancillary database set e.g. DXCC, IOTA, WAS (etc) .MDB files can be deleted or renamed as you have and recreated.

Menu/File/Maintenance/File Maintenance/ "Create new ancillary set"

This will create a set of QSO-blank MDB files, that can be populated from the Log using the Log Check Robot, I would recommend enabling the LCR "AUTO" function, populating the databases will take some time, but you can stop/start this process as and when.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
g8hgn1442
Keen user

Post by g8hgn1442 »

Hi Colin,

Thanks for that, it all worked perfectly, of course. Helps to fully read the "Help" files!

One other question. The .MDB extension is, I think, for MS Access? In the properties of these files what does that point to for opening? I've somehow managed to change all the files to open with Open Office. It all works fine, but where where they pointing too originally?

Thanks, 73,

Bob
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Bob

Glad all is OK.

Yes, MS Access, jet 3.51, this is the engine supplied with Office 97, the files must not be opened with later versions of Access or other software as the files are easily corrupted.

The log is also the same database format, but has the extension .LOG, which unfortunately later versions of windows see as a text file -which it definitely isn't.

There are Windows file settings to change the extension allocations though.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
g8hgn1442
Keen user

Post by g8hgn1442 »

Hi Colin,

Now I'm worried re corruption as the only "Office" program I have is Open Office 4.1.4, and that's what's now opening the MDB's. So what was opening them prior to me changing the files?

I'm using Windows 10 64 bit Pro. It didn't come with MS Office, hence Open Office. The reason I ask is the Icon for the files is now OO 4.1.4 but I don't remember it being that before.

If I want to change the extension allocations what would be the right one?

Thanks,73, Bob
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi Bob

The simple answer is that ONLY Winlog32 should open the database files, it was never intended that the files are used outside of the program.

If you open the files in some later versions of Office (Access) it will automatically convert to the new Access format which will then NOT be compatible with Winlog32 -thus will no longer work with Winlog32.
Unfortunately Access databases are version compatible.

If you intend to directly manipulate the contents of the Log or other databases outside of Winlog32, I strongly advise getting hold of an old copy of Access 97 (Office 97), which is the only version that can successfully work with the Winlog32 database files.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
g8hgn1442
Keen user

Post by g8hgn1442 »

Hi Colin,

I think I've misunderstood your initial comments.

I'll not be using the MDB's outside of the program. I just wanted to get back to where I was but as it is all working OK, I'll leave it as it is.

Thanks for all your help, 73,

Bob