backing up and reloading files on multiple computers

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
wilt64
New user

backing up and reloading files on multiple computers

Post by wilt64 »

Sorry for all the questions but here is what I want to do
Would like to have 3 computers running Winlog32 so how do I set up the files so all 3 computers are reading the common files?
If I backup on the main computer so I have the current files then install those files into computer 2 I have to cut and paste the files into the log folder within winlog32....is there an easier way of doing this?
Have had a play with the "remote Database" option but can't seem to get that to work.
Any idea's?
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Mike
ZL3MF
SV1GRB
Keen user

Re: backing up and reloading files on multiple computers

Post by SV1GRB »

This might not be an "official" method but it works for me :D

I have Winlog32 on two computers, one desktop for use at home and one netbook for portable.
I am using Freefilesync application (in mirror mode) to keep a MIRROR COPY of my ENTIRE "Logs" folder (including the subfolders with the databases) and save them for example in GoogleDrive.

After every session on my desktop computer I sync my logs FROM desktop TO the cloud.

Before every session on my netbook I sync my Logs folder FROM the cloud TO the local netbook folder.

After returning from my portable operation I sync my Logs FROM netbook TO the cloud
and then FROM the cloud TO Desktop.

This can be done easily with a USB stick instead of a cloud storage.
You can also use copy-paste instead of a sync application but remember ALWAYS BACKUP before doing anything.
A small mistake may cost you many lost contacts.

I personally keep my logs in more than one places

Haris
SV1GRB
wilt64
New user

Post by wilt64 »

SV1GRB wrote:This might not be an "official" method but it works for me :D

I have Winlog32 on two computers, one desktop for use at home and one netbook for portable.
I am using Freefilesync application (in mirror mode) to keep a MIRROR COPY of my ENTIRE "Logs" folder (including the subfolders with the databases) and save them for example in GoogleDrive.

After every session on my desktop computer I sync my logs FROM desktop TO the cloud.

Before every session on my netbook I sync my Logs folder FROM the cloud TO the local netbook folder.

After returning from my portable operation I sync my Logs FROM netbook TO the cloud
and then FROM the cloud TO Desktop.

This can be done easily with a USB stick instead of a cloud storage.
You can also use copy-paste instead of a sync application but remember ALWAYS BACKUP before doing anything.
A small mistake may cost you many lost contacts.

I personally keep my logs in more than one places

Haris
SV1GRB
Thanks for that Haris, I am doing exactly that using Dropbox and seems to be working, have also tried to do it via Remote logging but can't seem to get that to work...
Just thought there would be an easier way to backup and re-install the folders and do it automatically?
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

hi Mike

Further to what has already been said:-

There is an option in menu/file/Maintenance/File Maintenance/''Transfer...', this is much the same as a manual copy/paste operation and will work across LAN, you may want to investigate this, however some care is needed with this process as it essential to keep track of which log has latest QSO data and not to overwrite one that does.

I have done further work on remote database logging and beta testing along with Joe, 9H1CG, changes will be in next version release. This is working much better overall and more error checking, this keeps a 'Master' database across LAN or via back-up device but unfortunately the master log is NOT 'shared- between all Winlog32 connected via LAN, only the one with the master, however the remote database options does NOT require winlog32 running on remote computer(s) as access is direct to Log database file.

These options do not work with TCP/IP (across an internet connection).

73 Colin
G0CUZ