Problem wit version 6.6.1

You may post here if you are having problems with Winlog32 that others may be able to help you with. You may also report bugs so that the author may act upon them.
k3eq/8
New user

Problem wit version 6.6.1

Post by k3eq/8 »

Colin

1. After a short delay in working dx, I upgraded to version 6.6.1 on Windows 10' every time I go to options I receive Runtime Error 13 and cannot change options or exit the page. 2. All the past entries date was changed to reflect the day of the week is this something new or when I cure problem 1 can I change it myself 3. The DXCC is not updating ?…

Thank you for your help, it's an awesome logging program
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Re: Problem wit version 6.6.1

Post by G0CUZ »

Hi

If you have updated from a very old version of Winlog32, it could be a compatibility problem in some of the settings.

I suggest this - although you will loose ALL your custom/user settings if you do this:

Close Winlog32

Using 'My Computer/File Manager' navigate to the ..\Winlog32\ folder and manually delete the file 'winlog.ini' (this file contains all the 'user' settings and will be recreated when you start Winlog32).

Start WInlog32, skip the prompt "First Time User - make a log' (only if you already have a Log with QSOs)

Select your Log database from the 'Change/Select Database' option on the main logging form, and click on LOAD when your log appears in the flashing red window.

You will now have to set all your preferences again, but you should not have further problems.

73 Colin
G0CUZ
k3eq/8
New user

Post by k3eq/8 »

Thanks Colin, that worked well, so simple, I spent several hours trying to solve on my own.

One problem remains, the settings now allows me to change the date display back to where it was, but it does not affect the log as it has changed, when I run the log robot it says "No correct date"
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Not sure what date format you are trying to set in Winlog32? but suggest you stick to MM/DD/YYYY e.g. regular US format as it is always best to use same date format as the Windows date setting - or at least something similar.

Let me know what format you are using (also in windows) in Winlog32 and I'll run some tests.

I'll add some further notes here about date entry.....

If you are entering dates manually -you MUST enter the date as per your Windows date format setting even if you have the Winlog32 display set differently.
e.g. for the U.S. - if you set Winlog32 date format to (say) DD/MM/YYYY, you must still enter it in the input box as MM/DD/YYYY or whatever you have in Windows date format settings for correct interpretation.

This problem can shows up with UK/US differences say for instance here in the UK where a PC is set up (inadvertently) with U.S. settings, in which case the database engine can interpret correctly a cross format date like "29/01/2017" (as there is no 29th month - so in this case you must have entered DD/MM) BUT "05/01/2017" will be interpreted as 1st May and not 5th January like expected.
So to summerise a manually entered date must always be entered as per your windows setting irrespective of format date display setting in Winlog32 so that the database engine knows how to interpret the entered date correctly.
This is all to do with the MS Access database engine.

If entering QSO in auto-date mode, the correct format is normally taken care of functionally.

Hope that makes sense

73 Colin
G0CUZ
k3eq/8
New user

Post by k3eq/8 »

I have always used MM/DD/YYYY since inception of the log, when I started having problem with the error 13 the format changed to the one with day of the week. I created the new winlog.ini file I set everything the way it was, everything changed except the date, the setup page says the date format is MM/DD/YYYY however it does not change when I run the data robot it tells me invalid date. One time since trying to change this I got another error 13 again and had to reduce the ini file procedure again.
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

I think you need to contact me directly with some screen shots of the problem, I have never encountered this behaviour with the dates before or heard of same problem.

I need a screen shot of your Winlog32/Options/Settings/ tab DATE
and one of your Windows Regional Settings showing date format set.

I find with Win 10, that the 'settings' are rather misleading and scant, it is better to use the 'Advanced Settings'' window which takes some finding, but this window looks like the old Windows 8 and previous versions regional settings window, and for whatever reason sometimes this can be set differently, I've found this so with the numeric settings (the decimal separator).

73 Colin, G0CUZ

'mycallsign'@winlog32.co.uk
G0CUZ
Site Admin

Post by G0CUZ »

Did you receive my email reply regarding the above problem? if not check your junk.
73 Colin
G0CUZ